Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What are these light colored splotches???

• Thank you received: 2

What are these light colored splotches??? was created by Keefer T

I brought my AR 10-T in from the range a couple weeks ago, cleaned it and put it in the safe. I got it out yesterday and noticed light colored splotches on the receiver. They disappeared completely after being lightly wiped down with gun oil. They were back today. Any ideas what could have caused this or what to do to correct it?

Thanks,
Keith

Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Sharkey.
11 years 3 months ago #17134

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic What are these light colored splotches???

Keith, my first thought was some 'dry' spots missed when lightly oiling and I think you answered your own question...
11 years 3 months ago #17136

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic What are these light colored splotches???

They are normal, and as cowboy stated...you answered your own question...
But to add...they will fully disappear in time the more you oil and wipe down the gun...I recommend using a heavy gun oil..such as hoppe's gun oil...with a shop towel...wipe it down and let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it down with a clean one...again...over time you will never see them again..unless you use a Harsh Cleaner on the outside of the receiver... :pinch:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 3 months ago #17139

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Keefer T on topic What are these light colored splotches???

Thanks guys, but I am pretty sure that I didn't 'miss' these areas when wiping down the receiver. And I know I didn't miss them the second time. I was using Remoil - which is a pretty light oil. I will get some Hoppes and try that. I sure hope you guys are right and they go away!
11 years 3 months ago #17146

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic What are these light colored splotches???

Gun Herpes...

Best thing to do is box that thing right up and ship it to me bud. I'll place it with the rest of my "quarantined" lot and make certain it cannot effect any other weapons anywhere else.

Thank GOD we caught it time buddy. PM with my address has been sent and Fedex will be fine.

Sharkey :evil:
11 years 3 months ago #17148

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic What are these light colored splotches???

Do you use "Gun Scrubber " on the bore? If even a drop of that gets on the outside, it will leach oil out of the metal. If so BMS above has the remedy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BUILDING MY SASS
11 years 3 months ago #17149

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic What are these light colored splotches???

What ever you do please do not send it to the Sharky, its certainly not just any old Gun Herpes, it actually Gun Herpes Simplex #14 I am the only that has been able to treat it successfully, so send it too me and after quarantine I will move the patient into rehab. Its a long program but guaranteed to not relapse. You will be welcome to visit, please contact my office to schedule.

On another note:

I had the pleasure or Displeasure of getting involved with Hoppe's daughter of Gun oil etc Hoppe's. 6 mos of my life I will never get back...
11 years 3 months ago #17151

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Sharkey Humanitarian of the Year

Thats a great offer Sharkey. I don't know how he does it such selfless service to his brothers in arms. LOL...
11 years 3 months ago #17152

Yep, You need to quit "Huffing" Breakfree.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 3 months ago #17155

I had the same issue when I bought mine...it took some time...and as what was said...Very Harsh Cleaners will bring them back...I use Break Free in the Can for my Cleaning Agent...thus...No removal of the any oil on the out side if I get sloppy with it..(shut up Sharkey :dry: )...
I may also add...this is a bid weird but ...You need to oil it often when you first get it...it, as I said, takes time...Treat it like a New car that you Wax every week...do the same...and they will go away for ever... :wave:
BMS

11 years 3 months ago #17156

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!