Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Light primer strikes?

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Light primer strikes?

As far as I can tell the tactical 2 stage and NM are the same, mechanically speaking. I believe the NM runs a lighter adjustment range to be the difference. I understand completely the need to know your weapon is 100% but I can say the only time I look at primers is to check for pressure signs or if it doesn't go bang. I'm not trying to sound like I am dismissing your concerns, you may be on to something and I'm certainly not there to see fist hand to say other wise, but as long as it is firing every time the trigger is pulled, it's good right?

I'd suggest leaving the firing pin spring in place, but if you do try it without, let us know how it goes. You may be onto something there anyway. Typically light primer strike issues are firing pin related, something binding or dragging in there. Perhaps making sure the spring is fully seated and it is the correct length could help you. The retaining pin or cam pin could also be worth looking at.

Don't give up, we will get through this.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 weeks ago #22835

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by bollox on topic Light primer strikes?

20 rds. All bangs. Dimples appear to be slightly more severe. And I cannot for the life of me figure out what the spring is for. The pin has nowhere near enough mass to cause a slamfire. If, in the retracted position the firing pin shouldered up against 2 symmetric points I could see it being there to ensure axial alignment when the hammer hits the pin, to maybe prevent bent firing pins. But it only shoulders up against the 1 cotter pin so it actually ensures maximum axial misalignment, albeit repeatable misalignment. I'll reserve judgement and wait for more input. I'm beginning to suspect that it is a "lawyer" part. Someone correct me.

13fcolt? Is there a more positive trigger/ hammer combo out there? Do I just need an ar15 trigger to make it work? How about the safety? Love the rifle. If I can get past this problem I'll be very happy.
11 years 2 weeks ago #22852

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Light primer strikes?

I run geissele DMR in mine, geissele.com/hi-speeddesignatedmarksmanrifledmr.aspx It's probably the best AR trigger out there, but I don't know if it's any stronger that what you have. It is possible to use extra power springs with it though. It is smooth and clean and I have never had issue with it. Timney also makes a top notch trigger.

If you want, you can use AR15 triggers. You'd be giving up a good clean trigger for a comparatively crappy rough trigger. I've not personally heard of an AR15 trigger group not working in an AR10, aside from the Jewel trigger group.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 weeks ago #22854

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by bollox on topic Light primer strikes?

I've decided to leave the spring out for the time being. I may put it back in when I use the rifle for hunting with commercial ammo but as long as I'm using milsurp w/ known hard primers I'm going to leave it out. When I do use new ammo I plan to test cycle 1 rd 3 times and look at the primer. I may even select the longest OAL out of ten to try it on. I figured if I was committing an egregious safety violation someone would have piped up by now. My working theory is that the spring is a safety device included for handloaders who run Winchester or some other light primer. I plan to shoot it every week for a year or so until I regain my confidence in it. I thank everyone here for their help and positive attitude. Hopefully one day I'll know enough about these rifles to return the favor.
11 years 2 weeks ago #22939

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!