Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Trying to decide which AR10 upper

• Thank you received: 0

Trying to decide which AR10 upper was created by Coner

I originally wanted to go with a Noveske upper for the Armalite AR10 lower I have waiting to be finished. But I'm not sure if the funds will allow it. I know there are a vast amount of Armalite AR10 uppers. I'm having trouble trying to decide which upper would be best for me. Not sure if I need to concern myself with the AR10-T,A, or B designators.

I'm intending on using this piece for long range target shooting (less than 200 yards) and hunting. I like the idea of a stainless barrel and I'm thinking 20"-24" length. I intend to fix a battlecomp compensator so the barrel must have the standard 5/8-24 threaded muzzle. I'd prefer to find a complete upper assembly with the bolt carrier group. I can always change the hand guard but my preference is a free float quad rail setup.

Any suggestions?

I see some of the uppers do not have the forward assist. Do you think this is really necessary?

Thanks
11 years 2 months ago #18697

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Trying to decide which AR10 upper

If the lower you're having built is an AR10B-type lower (One that accepts Armalite's modified M14 magazine) then you need to look at AR10B/T type uppers. AR10A uppers will not fit on that lower and an A-type upper will accept only KAC/DPMS type mags, such as Magpul Pmags.

Given that you want a factory threaded SS barrel, I'd look at either the National Match upper receiver assembly or the Super SASS upper receiver assembly. Both of these will have a 20 inch SS barrel with an A2 type FH that can be removed and replaced by the muzzle device of your choice. Both also come equipped with a FF rail systems. The Super SASS will also come equipped with an adjustable gas system.

If you wanted to cut some weight, take a look at the AR10T carbine upper. 16 in. SS w/FF sleeve and A2 FH.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coner
11 years 2 months ago #18708

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Trying to decide which AR10 upper

X2, that is what I did and have and think it is a good way to go. I have the 20" bbl also, don't think you need to go 24" unless you are wanting to play out at 800 yds+.

I have not weighed mine but its weighty, this is not your daddys M 16. That said its a real weapon that plays with the big boys..
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 2 months ago #18715

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic Trying to decide which AR10 upper

If you don't like cleaning, I'd suggest you look into gas piston systems.

Forward assists aren't totally necessary. You can always just break the rifle down shotgun style and hammer the bolt home if you don't have one.
11 years 2 months ago #18717

My only concern with GP systems is from a support standpoint. GP systems from an engineering view are as good as anything if not better...that said there are lot of AR's with GP systems and none of them are the same, nor is there any justification to long term product support. This model may work on a short shelf life platform but the AR is over 60 years old and you have to ask yourself the question, can I get a replacement part in say 20 years?

If the military adapts a GP system we would some standardzation and a bin full of parts for a long time...

Bear that in mind, GP is good, but will it stand the test of time and Congress whose goal is to put all these companies out of business...
11 years 2 months ago #18739

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Trying to decide which AR10 upper

Been shooting the direct impingement gas system since 1985.
Easy as pie to clean. Go to the Ford dealership and ask the Parts guy
for a can of "carb cleaner". It's not the spray or the gas tank stuff.
Soak the unassembled BCG in this overnight, dissolves all carbon.
Clean up is a breeze!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by faawrenchbndr.
11 years 2 months ago #18741

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Trying to decide which AR10 upper

A 175gr SMK is just starting to go transonic at 975 yds with a 20" barrel.

Out of a 16 incher, that same bullet is going transonic around 700-800 yards. I've taken my AR10A4 carbine out to 800 and got consistent hits on man-sized silhouettes.
Not necessarily. While excess carbon/fouling doesn't get dumped into the receiver like Stoner's expanding gas system, it has to go somewhere. Usually it's vented by the gas block and winds up on/in the block and barrel. (Remember having to scrape the carbon out of the piston cup of a 249?)

I agree that the lack of a TDP like the M4/AR15 FOW has can potentially create some parts commonality problems. But then again, I also own an AR10B that takes a particular magazine versus a KAC/DPMS pattern rig that accepts a more common (less expensive) magazine. I find the trade off to be acceptable, so I own a couple of piston ARs as well as DI rifles.
RLTW
11 years 2 months ago #18742

I have not bought any of this in years, but At GM dealerships they had a product that was used to clean carbon deposits on the exhaust riser valve on a V8 engine. How good was this stuff...we would train using blanks in our M 16's and at the end of the week these things along with the blank adapter were carboned up so bad that Sat mornings was devoted weapons cleaning from 0800 - 1200 hrs (in those days the Army worked a 5 1/2 day week). For most getting that weapon clean in 4 hrs was a challenge...I saw many guys still trying to get past the Sgt at 2 in the afternoon...But the ole Cowboy here had a secret, GM Heat Riser Valve cleaner.

How good? Put it a spray bottle, set your M16 on a plate or in a can, spray top to bottom, leave someone behind to watch the weapons, run to the PX and snack bar, get back about 1130, wipe dry, lube it and turn it in WHITE GLOVE clean. After a couple of weeks of this the Plt Sgt came down to our squad barracks to see how we in 3rd sqd always passed first time around. We were not there we are all at the snack bar and all these M 16's sitting in cans dripping carbon. We get back and Plt Sgt wants to see me and bring my magic spray bottle. I show him and tell him what it is...LOL like a typical Sgt in those days he runs down to the local Chev dealer and buys a few gallons of the stuff, puts it in small bottles and sells it, IIRC he was getting $2.50 per bottle and was making a killing....

Don't even know if they have heat risers in cars anymore, but this stuff is truly AMAZING...

"I see some of the uppers do not have the forward assist. Do you think this is really necessary?"

Depends upon the context: For the everyday shooter, not likely, for most shooters, not likely and even if it is what is the DOWNside if you do not have it. Not much. But your butt is hung out on some LZ in some stinking country and the SHTF, its 0200 hrs, pitch black except the glow of fading tracers and hot barrels and you got a jam...yea you MIGHT want to have a forward assist...YOU THINK?

Anyhow, been there done that and I would not have one without it, but that is just me, you gas mileage may be different...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coner
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 2 months ago #18771

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Turbo V6 Camaro on topic Trying to decide which AR10 upper

brake kleen in the red can....................
11 years 2 months ago #18813

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Trying to decide which AR10 upper

I do not allow myself to step into any GOvernment Motors dealership.
The Motorcraft product works well for me.

Sprays are messy as hell, and wasteful. I have been using the same 16 oz can of cleaner for three years. After soaking the bolt, I drain it back into the can, using a particulate screen to keep the chunks out.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 10-76
11 years 1 month ago #18827

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!