Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR 10T Forward Assist

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR 10T Forward Assist

I am amazed that the military did not put a FA as a requirement. Maybe they felt Snipers would be in a situation to better maintain their rifles. While I said I have never used mine, I remember the horror stories out of Vietnam that led to the reqirement for M16's to have a Forward Assist. Maybe Leb, Colt, Dabu, or one of the other sandbox veterans could chime in on their opinions of the Forward Assist in that environment.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Siscowet.
10 years 6 months ago #30261

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR 10T Forward Assist

Think of the forward assist as a panic button that may or may not work. During high volume fire situations, you will probably have a chance to use it(if you haven't cleaned your weapon well)between magazine changes. When the BCG does not fully go into battery you will not get your weapon to fire, the first thing you do is panic and slam on that FA, infact if its not really close to being in battery it isn't gonna work. I have had several situations while expending 10K plus rounds at a single firing point, to discuss in very colorful detail what where the designers thinking when they added the FA. The thing that I did most often was hose down the BCG with CLP or what ever we had on hand and rack the bolt back and forth til it worked. There are times when you have so much crude coming out of the receiver that you have no option but to remove the BCG and clean it. For the record my personal best is three guys 35000 rounds in about 24 hours through 5 weapons. Was grinning and choking for 24 hrs straight. It was all indirect fire at another group of mountain tops.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siscowet
10 years 6 months ago #30269

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic AR 10T Forward Assist

1971, USATC, Ft.Knox, the H&R and the colts had the forward assist.
I thought that it was part of the design from Armalites patents that Colt had bought up.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by MrMarty51.
10 years 6 months ago #30270

The forward assists came on board shortly before then The Army switched powders in 5.56 rounds to save money, and the new powder led to more fouling. Add that to initial M16 doctrine about how they rarely needed cleaning, and you had a lot of jammed weapons at a critical time. The Forward Assist was a crash development stop gap solution. When Cowboy gets back, he can talk about it first hand. I think Lib is right on the money. It may or may not work, and if it doesn't your jam isnow probably worse.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Siscowet.
10 years 6 months ago #30279

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic AR 10T Forward Assist

I do not think the FA is very necessary for an AR-10. The buffer spring is much heavier than in an AR-15.

In an AR-15 the kenetic energy of the closing bolt is much less than in an AR-10. It's more likely to jam. Because anytime I've had a jam I was at the range and likely operator error I just eject the round and reload it.
10 years 6 months ago #30295

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic AR 10T Forward Assist

I have often thought about the "What Ifs" on the F.A.
Yeah, what if the casing was back just a bit further than what the F.A. was designed for.
Now, there is a case that now has a big O~L crush in the side of it.
What if the case is now bent and the ejector now has no grip onit.

I`d guess it would now be time to dig out some tools and have to physically pry the bent cartridge from the chamber.
Good thingk I always have My Leatherman strapped to Mine belt.

What if, this day I did`n have Mine Leatherman strapped to Mine belt and all a them deeers was a aiming to take Me out ????
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 5 months ago #30296

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by RickinMo on topic AR 10T Forward Assist

Thank you for welcomes and the replies.
I,like most of you have been shooting AR type rifles for many years and in most cases I find the FA to be superfluous {my big word for today} ;) except that it looks kinda cool.
I didn't realize AR-10s didn't have FAs but I was really only worried about the Cool factor B)
I also thought I might use that to date mine.
Thank You again and I'm sure I will have other dumb questions as time goes by.

Rick
You may find me lying dead in a ditch but by God you will find me in a big pile of brass
10 years 5 months ago #30648

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic AR 10T Forward Assist

I think they should make a rear assist for jams. :P
10 years 5 months ago #30649

E
As MRRaley said now they all have FA. Just the older ones did not. I tried on a pair of pants I wore 25 years ago today. I needed a forward assist to fit into them. (Bad joke)
10 years 5 months ago #30651

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic AR 10T Forward Assist

The forward assist allows you to go from a clear chamber to a loaded chamber quietly and with a nudge from the forward assist seat the bolt.

8 years in the Army as a Cav Scout then Airborne Infantry and afterword a civilian gun owner, this is the only use I have found for the forward assist.
10 years 5 months ago #30671

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!