Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Odd Looking AR-10 Upper

• Thank you received: 556

Odd Looking AR-10 Upper was created by jtallen83

I ran across this AR-10T on Gunbroker, it has two uppers, one has a 26 inch Krieger barrel with some considerable modifications. Anybody know why it would be built this way? It couldn't have been cheap;
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=373175471

The sellers ID makes you wonder, Hackgunsandammo :dry:
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 5 months ago #30457

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Odd Looking AR-10 Upper

Looks like something for competition shooting.......definately done on purpose.
Something like for f-class shooting
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 5 months ago #30465

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Odd Looking AR-10 Upper

I figured it must have some sort of special purpose, never seen one with a charging handle on the bolt. I noticed they had a sled magazine with it, I imagine that is for loading cartridges past the COL that fits the magazine. Kinda ugly but then if it will shoot accurately it would start looking pretty good. $2000 doesn't seem to bad for all the work done with the extra upper.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 5 months ago #30466

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Odd Looking AR-10 Upper

Looks like an F-class or similar. The muzzle appears to be turned for a bloop tube on the 26" for iron sights. I'd guess the owner has either shot out the barrel and is moving on to another platform or has gotten out of competing altogether. It certainly has some miles on it.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 5 months ago #30483

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Odd Looking AR-10 Upper

If it's shot out then the 2 grand doesn't look so good, still lots of parts there. Why all the trouble putting a charging handle on the bolt and cutting out the receiver? Seems redundant.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 5 months ago #30484

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Odd Looking AR-10 Upper

That's normally done to make them into straight pull bolt actions or make single loading much easier. Imagine trying to use the standard charging handle for every shot. If it is a krieger barrel, when I say shot out I mean the throat and muzzle are loose enough to go from sub moa to just over moa. The hard core competition crowd usually dumps a barrel when they first show signs of opening up to what the rest of us are happy to get. It is possible it has some life left but without visual inspection for that sort of thing I'd pass.

I'd guess this guy was shooting some long heavy VLD's just on the edge of high pressure so the throat probably made it 5k or less.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 5 months ago #30487

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Odd Looking AR-10 Upper

I am with you. I saw one of these before and it was a bench shooter going for accuracy one shot at a time. I would not want to get into it unless I could do a physical inspection. Most of these are converts and generally done by a competent machine shop, but not all, some are good ideas gone bad and fotos on an auction site don't tell the story...the guy is getting rid of a Dremel job gone bad...
10 years 5 months ago #30759

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!