Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

• Thank you received: 67

243 was created by foxhunter

Does anyone have any experience with the armalite AR10 or the upper assembly in 243?
In looking at their website, they advertise 1.5-2 moa. They normally tend to be conservative on their advertised accuracy and I have always gotten better than advertised from them. But a $400 Savage bolt in 243 will do close to 1 moa, without lugging around 9 lb, so I was hoping someone could give me a reason to buy this gun. It would be used to pop deer out to 200 from a stand.
I know 2moa will still get a deer at that range, but that assumes I do my part, and gives little room for error. Also, that 9 lb wt is a killer weight for a caliber that doesn't kick anyway, then you factor in the price campared to a lightweight bolt action. I am taling myself out of this gun. Someone tell me I am wrong( and why)!
10 years 5 months ago #30691

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic 243

It's all about your purpose. If you want to walk around stalking deer, the lighter rifle will show it's benefits pretty quick. If you are one of those that sits in a stand, it really wont matter much just going to & from your stand.

Back when I had a .243 I was messing with it's potential for long range stuff but the bullet selection wasn't what it is today so it became a varmint rig. The ar10 was worth the extra pounds since follow up shots allowed for a second, and occasionally a third coyote to be taken. I also didn't do any real walking with it though.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 5 months ago #30723

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic 243

Some of the benefits of sticking with the AR-10 would be future value, should they ever be banned the value will climb considerably. They tend to loose less value even without being banned, future collectors will be looking for one in each caliber offered so a .243 would have good value.
There is also the benefit of a multi-mission weapon, should a tyrannical government ever decide to come for your guns the AR-10 would be a better weapon to defend yourself with. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 5 months ago #30725

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic 243

.243 is a real popular rd. I have never shot or used it, but certainly have no shortage of friends who love and have loved it for years. Its popular but not everywhere, very popular in Texas, other states not as much...not sure why.
10 years 5 months ago #30894

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by JRH_ArmaLiteAR10T on topic 243

Most .243 Win. Rifles were made as light weight deer/antelope guns for boys and women. The cartridge is excellent for long range varmint shooting with light bullets.

I have an old Win. Mod 70 Heavy-Varmint rifle that I loaded with 55gr Nosler Ballistic-Tips at 3900fps. It was easier on a barrel than a .220 Swift, and could reach out farther than a .223 Rem or .22-250 Rem. on ground squirrel size targets. Low recoil so you could shoot all day, unlike a .25-'06.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by JRH_ArmaLiteAR10T.
9 years 7 months ago #41969

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!