Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Newbie questions (price check, bipod, ammo).....

• Thank you received: 0

Newbie questions (price check, bipod, ammo)..... was created by horsegoalie

I'm coming back to the semi-auto world a little from my Remington 700, which I built/had built to my specs. I'm looking for a good "starter" target 308 AR platform rifle. In my search, I ran across a used rifle at a local shop that I frequent. The rifle is a VERY lightly used AR10tnf (the green one), in great shape. Crown, bolt, feed ramps, even magazine look very good. The rifle has been upgraded with Giselle trigger, PRS stock, and rear monopod.

So, here's a couple questions...

1) Is it worth the non-negotiable $1700 price tag?
2) Anything in a user AR10T that I should look for?
3) Does a Harris S-BRM bipod fit on easily to the swivel stud, or are there issues with the smooth, round foreend?
4) Is there some ammo that the AR10T hates? At the beginning, I will probably feed it 150gr cheap ammo to get used to the rifle and get sighted in. After, it will be handloads.

Thanks and sorry for the long message...
10 years 5 months ago #31095

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Newbie questions (price check, bipod, ammo).....

A couple thoughts: That is not a bad price, considering the Giselle trigger is already installed, along with the PRS stock. You might also ask any forum members what they might have for sale. It isn't my place to say who, but there might be some very nice AR's for sale.
Rule of thumb for the 1 in 10 twist, try 147 grain and higher. Supposedly 168 gr is optimal, but that will depend on the individual rifle. My 1 in 11.25 standard AR10 loves 175 grain.
As far as used, look at the bolt and bolt carrier group for any excessive wear marks, especially check the extractor. Check the chamber. There are a lot more knowledgable guys on this site who can give more detailed advice and I am sure they will. Good luck.
10 years 5 months ago #31098

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Newbie questions (price check, bipod, ammo).....

The PRS stock plus monopod is in the $350 ballpark, add in another $165-$200+ for the trigger, all other things in good shape and &1700 sounds about right. The only other thing not covered is it's age. An older rifle might not have the correct bolt stop for the GEN2 mags.
Check the Tech notes at armalite here for reference. It's a handy bookmark to have.
www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Categor...f3-b335-53f4a7dc8f08

specifically 71 & 66
www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes%5CT...0Rev%200%20Final.pdf

www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes%5CT...agazine%20060531.pdf

You should have no issues mounting the harris bipod that I am aware of. For ammo, like any rifle, trying a box or 2 of everything is never a bad idea to find that load it likes. Privi partisan is very popular for practice ammo giving good reliability even though groups are not benchrest perfect.
Any more questions just ask away, always happy to help.
Good luck!
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 5 months ago #31100

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Newbie questions (price check, bipod, ammo).....

Sounds like a good price to me. I'd say get it along with a good variety of ammo and start shooting, she'll tell you what she likes! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 5 months ago #31102

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Newbie questions (price check, bipod, ammo).....

1. Welcome to the forum... :welcome:

2. Nothing wrong with that price at all as long as it checks out clean and free of any odd wear or damage.

3. Spend all the time you can on here reading and asking questions, if you need parts, say so and a deal may come up right here in the family.

4. Never be shy about asking anything. We've got some great men and great shooters on here and we are all willing to pull together to help find parts, ammo and help in any way we can and our gun gurus are always happy to answer questions without all of the sarcasm and "down-talking" you might see on other forums. Damn fine, respectful bunch we've got on here and you've come to the right place.

Again, welcome aboard. We're always happy to see new members joining us here at the Home of the Big Bang ARs... :thumbs:

(OK maybe a LITTLE sarcasm but only after you've got your answers.... :evil: )
10 years 5 months ago #31109

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!