Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Help me with my AR10 carbine build.

• Thank you received: 0

Help me with my AR10 carbine build. was created by CarbineAR10

I'm new to this forum but definitely not new to firearms. I recently picked up an Armalite AR10 carbine that uses pmags instead of the metal mags and needless to say the ideas are flying through my head with ideas to change things up on it. First let me say this is not going to be a long range rig. This is for general purpose, hunting, defense, and anything else that may come up. It will be for use from 0 yards to 400 yards max. I like my rifles compact with the ability to change things on it if necessary. I have already ordered the following items for the lower:

AR15 mil-spec buffer tube
Standard receiver end plate (hate the ambi stock one)
Slash's XH buffer and spring

I plan on ordering the following items ASAP:

Magpul mil-spec CTR stock
Magpul enhanced aluminum trigger guard
Magpul MIAD 1.1 Type 2 grip (when available)
Bravo Gunfighter 7.62 charging handle

Now the hardest part I'm having is on the upper. I'm familiar with NFA regs so please no legal discussions about short barrel and suppressor stuff. Given the intended ranges and uses what would be the best barrel length (12.5, 14.5, or 16) that you guys recommend. Again this is not a long range rig and needs to be compact so please no recommendations of barrel lengths over 16 inches. Another issue I'm having is on the rail system...and yes I want 4 rails cause this goes with the general purpose and unknown situations it might be used in. I'm leaning towards the Daniel Defense 7.62 Lite Rail in 9" if I do a 12.5" barrel or the 12" for the 14.5" or 16" barrel. Troy makes a good product but is too big in diameter for the barrel. Any other recommendations out there?

And lastly...the sighting system. Red dot with back up irons or a low power optic on a quick release mount with back up irons. There are so many available it'll make your head spin. I do not know anything about qualities of many brands outside the big name brand ones. I have an AimPoint Pro on my 5.56 SBR and its great for that use but I think some magnification would be useful especially for extended range and for my eyes as I get older. Thinking about the 1-4x or 1-6x type scopes but price, quality and ease of use are a concern. Looking in the $500-$1000 range for either a red dot or scope.

I appreciate any and all help/recommendations you can give for my project.
10 years 2 months ago #35012

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Help me with my AR10 carbine build.

Even from a 12.5" barrel the right 308 load will easily be effective at 500 yards. Should easily do better than 30-30 type ballistics from even that short of barrel.

I don't quite understand how the Troy rails are "too big a diameter" I had a 13.8" MRF on my AR-10 carbine.

If Troy doesn't work for you, look at Larue.

Rule of thumb is 1X mag for every 100 yards, I have a millet 1-4x that gets the job done for very little $, I really like the SpecterDR 1 and 4x that switches instantly from a 1x dot to a 4x ballistic matched crosshair. It also has rudimentary fixed sights built on top of the optic.

For your budget I'd look at Leaupold and Vortex 1-4x and 1-6x as well as take a hard look at Acogs.

Don't be afraid to look for used Leaupys, Vortex or Acogs as if there is an issue all 3 companies will repair.
10 years 2 months ago #35027

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!