Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Failure to feed

• Thank you received: 16

Failure to feed was created by Ranchwagon

I bought an Armalite AR-10 years ago, but it sat in the closet for years because it had feeding problems from the get go. This was in the magazine ban days and I converted used M-1 magazines. Frustrated, I kind of gave up on it until the new generation magazines came out, also a number of years ago. Same problem.

Finally I got serious about getting it to shoot. I disassembled, examined, cleaned, lubed numerous times. The last time around, I discovered the hole in the screw that attaches the buttstock to the buffer tube was plugged with what appeared to be plastic.

I took it out and it helped some. Finally I slathered the bolt assembly with way too much Tetra lube and hit the magazines with some spray Tetra.

I ended up shooting 150 rounds without a hiccup though all 5 mags.

It seems like I had a couple issues but I put more lube on this than I ever thought I should. My AR-15's never took this much. So, I am thinking I can put another few hundred rounds through and then scale back a little on the lube.

Happy Happy Happy
10 years 3 weeks ago #36483

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Failure to feed

Sounds like a plan Ranch. And welcome to the forum. I am thinking the older AR 10 might not have been a perfect fit with the Gen 2 mags and everything took a while to adjust. Keep us informed if you have that issue again. ☑️
10 years 3 weeks ago #36484

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Ranchwagon on topic Failure to feed

I guess it's time to see if all of those old converted
M-1 mags and the Gen 1 conversion kits will work now. I'll post up success or failures.
10 years 3 weeks ago #36490

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Failure to feed

Speaking of lubricant...

I've personally had a couple of AR-15 builds that would not function / feel reliably once they were assembled. The bolt carrier would rack back and chamber a round but once the bolt carrier cycled after a shot it would not fully lock up without a tap on the forward assist.

After carefully inspecting everything I had a thought....The finish on many parts was dull or parkerized, basically rough if you know what I mean compared to shinny blued steel that glides with a minimum of lubricant.

I literally soaked the bolt carrier and inside of the upper receiver with Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic motor oil then reassemble. Manually I cycle the action to emulate normal cycling and I do this about 150 to 200 times. It doesn't take all that long, maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

Once I'm through, the unit receives a thorough cleaning and proper lubrication. And when I say thorough cleaning I mean strip the colt to it's individual components and properly lube for reassembly.

I've had 100% success and it's my SOP for new builds...
10 years 3 weeks ago #36495

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Failure to feed

Armalite's tend to be built tight and for some, it takes over lubing and a few hundred rounds to get everything to wear in together. Glad you got it sorted out.
RLTW
10 years 3 weeks ago #36497

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!