Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR-10 SASS Question:

• Thank you received: 0

Armalite AR-10 SASS Question: was created by deputy doc

Does anyone have any experiance with or informed opinion of the Armalite AR-10 Super SASS Rifle or carbine. I have seen the rifles for sale for $2500-$3000K. I have not seen much info on the carbines. I am told that the AR-10 SASS Carbines are very rare. Are these guns worth it? Is there any demand for them? Any info would be most apprecitated.
Thanks!
15 years 9 months ago #148

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:Armalite AR-10 SASS Question:

I and another member discussed the carbine SASS to some extent in the 'AR-10 Discussion' subforum if you care to take a look. Apparently there was a gas regulation problem with the shorter barrel SASS and Armalite removed the complete SASS carbine model from the market. You can still pick up the complete upper assembly however, but they are sold as is.
15 years 9 months ago #154

Replied by deputy doc on topic Re:Armalite AR-10 SASS Question:

Thanks very much for the info AZMM!

I read the post which you are referring to. I will call Armalite to discuss this.

I noted what you said about the Wilson smith site and the 16" bbls. Were the comments on the Wilson site directed at .223 or .308 platforms?

I saw a complete SASS carbine at a show this weekend. It was $3K. Looked like a great gun. The seller noted that there are very few of them. I certainly would not want to put that kind of money, or any money for that matter, into an unreliable piece. The gun did not have an adjustable gas system.
15 years 9 months ago #165

Wilson was referring to the 308. Here is his website if you care to read a bit more. www.shooterready.com/ar10.html

Web Arms was offering the 16" barrel carbine version of the AR-10T until just a few weeks ago. The price was just over $1500 so it sounds like your gun show guy was attempting to double his money. Personally, if I wanted a target/sniper carbine model and was willing to spend that kind of money, I would just buy a used Armalite AR-10 flat top standard barrel model and send it to Wilson along with 2 grand and expect to receive a primo 1st rate weapon back in return.
15 years 9 months ago #169

I spoke with a couple of the customer service folks at Armalite today regarding the SASS Carbine.

They said that the carbine was not reliable with the adjustable gas regulator. They also said that it was tricky to get it to run properly even without the adjustable gas regulator. Specifically, they said that each rifle had to be essentially tuned by hand which was time consuming and expensive such that regular production would be cost and time prohibitive. They all said that the few that were sold ran perfectly and that none were allowed to leave the factory unless they ran flawlessly.

I look forward to more discussion with the Armalite Reps. at TREXPO East in late August.

Any additional info on the SASS Carbine would be most appreicated.

Thanks!
15 years 9 months ago #172

Sounds like Armalite discovered what Stewart Wilson already knew for sometime in regards to the 16" barrel. Its somewhat finnicky to get it running smoothly/reliably apparently.

If you get a chance deputy doc, ask the Armalite folks about any difficulties that might be encountered in using 308 commercial ammo as opposed to strict milspec 7.62 Nato ammo in the carbine barrel length AR-10s. I assume Armalite has their rifle's gas system tuned for commercial 308 ammo since that is what they are chambered for. I just wonder if there could be cycling problems occurring in the carbine models if using 7.62Nato ammo since that barrel length is finnicky in the first place to tune.
15 years 9 months ago #173

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Armalite AR-10 SASS Question:

I've have in hand the SASS Carbine upper. Waiting for the lower to arrive, and some blackhills moly (Armalite recommended for break in of national match barrel). It will probably be a month or two before I have a chance to finish integration and begin range testing. I have high expectations of it. Even if it doesn't live up to my expectations I should still have a solid 16" free-float .308 for about $1300 when I'm done which is not too shabby in my view.

The image shows the upper with the PWS FSC30 I've attached to it. Not going to get too excited till I've broken/sighted it in, then hopefully there'll be something to write about.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

15 years 9 months ago #177

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Looks great. Please let us know how it shoots!
15 years 9 months ago #187

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!