Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Hunting/ Target ammo question

• Thank you received: 6

Hunting/ Target ammo question was created by Michael_D_Henry

I am looking for a bullet that works equally well for target shooting and hunting. I understanding there are advantages and disadvantages to any bullet and cartridge. I am looking at the Hornady Superformance SST in 165gr and SSA (Nosler)solid copper HP in 168 gr. Both have ballistic tips. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
9 years 4 months ago #43318

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Hunting/ Target ammo question

Every rifle is going to be a little different. I like Federal Premium with 180g Nosler partitions. I get better than MOA out to 400 with this round. I hear nothing but bad about the about SST superformance (overpressure issues). If you do decide to do some testing of rounds remember that when you change to a copper solid , you need to strip the barrel of all residue from previous ammo fired from that barrel before proceeding with the test. Solids are different in this way. I have shot solids once and had mixed results but that was prior to finding out that I should have stripped the barrel down before testing. Perhaps if you do test them you could post what you find, I for one would be interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 4 months ago #43323

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Hunting/ Target ammo question

Thanks for that info Lib. I've got 100 Berger solids that I bought real cheap on ebay. I have a box loaded for a ladder test but haven't shot them yet,
now I know to get the copper out before shooting them. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43333

Replied by Michael_D_Henry on topic Hunting/ Target ammo question

Thanks and can you clarify a little as far as stripping the barrel? The SSA ammo is using the Barnes TTX solid copper HP, which is something I have never used. Are you saying I need to make sure I brush and swab the barrel good after I shoot other ammo and before I shoot the solid copper? I don't understand because all bullets have a copper jacket and that is what is contacting the barrel. Also interesting about using 180gr bullets as my manual recommends using 150-175 grain. Someone else told me I should use 150's. I thought the 165-168 gr was the best. Thanks again for any advise as I'm new to this.
9 years 4 months ago #43338

Good question Mike. Well its kinda complicated but I will try to make it brief, two things you have to compare between these two bullets is the alloy used for each differs and because of this and the fouling from a jacketed bullet will interfere with your solid. When you fire a copper jacketed bullet (its softer and more malleable) it will deposit lead and softer copper fouling on the lands and grooves of your barrel. This is a real problem. Why you ask, because of the harder alloy used in copper solids. There where a lot of over pressure issues with these bullets (solids) when they first came out, they have mitigated it a bit, And if you don't strip the barrel the solid will never have a consistent surface to ride on. So your pressures will fluctuate a great deal in the bore and accuracy will suffer.
So how do you strip the barrel. Easy first I swab the barrel with oil and patch to remove everything loose X 5-10 times , then out comes the Hoppes again swab it, heavy on the Hoppes and wait 5 minutes then bronze bore brush 2-3 times, then start pushing the crap out with patches, you will be surprised what comes out , repeat the brush and Hoppes til its clean, then run some patches to remove any trace hopes, (REMEMBER HOPPES IS NOT GOOD FOR A BORE SO GET AS MUCH OUT AS YOU CAN. NOW DUE TO MY AVERSION TO HOPPES (ammonia) I HOLD THE BARREL UPRIGHT AND LITERALLY HOSE IT OUT WITH A SPRAY CAN (oil) IN THE CHAMBER AND THEN DOWN THE BORE, YOU CAN'T USE TO LITTLE . YOU GET THE IDEA JUST MAKE SURE NONE IS LEFT IN THE WEAPON) NOW RUN A PATCH AND YOUR GOOD TO GO.
Remember that solids reduce barrel life.....
9 years 4 months ago #43339

As far as the Federal Premium 180 gr partition, out of my weapon it shots sub MOA , that's factory ammo. Think about that , sub MOA out of a gas gun and its a absolute HAMMER on big game. I actually shot a precision steel match with this stuff. The wind doesn't push it around till after 400. And it carries a shit ton of energy downrange. It doesn't get any better than that. But shot some out of your weapon and see. Always verify for yourself.
9 years 4 months ago #43340

9 years 4 months ago #43341

Watch the video , pay attention to #13 on the plate, at 21 minutes. And again at 26 minutes. For the Hoppes truth
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 4 months ago #43344

Replied by Michael_D_Henry on topic Hunting/ Target ammo question

Wow thanks, I will have to watch the video tomorrow night. It's late and work comes early in the AM.
9 years 4 months ago #43345

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!