Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR10 Magazines - Gen 1 vs Gen 2

• Thank you received: 26

AR10 Magazines - Gen 1 vs Gen 2 was created by silver78

Does anyone have pictures comparing the gen 1s to the gen 2s? I only own gen 2s and someone asked me. I don't have any of the old ones any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
8 years 8 months ago #45409

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR10 Magazines - Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Here is a copy of ArmaLites tech note on the difference;

LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: silver78, MrMarty51
8 years 8 months ago #45410

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by silver78 on topic AR10 Magazines - Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Thanks JT!
8 years 8 months ago #45411

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic AR10 Magazines - Gen 1 vs Gen 2

OK, Now I`m going to have to go and see what I have for magazines.
Last time I went out shooting, the bolt would not lock rearwards, on the empty magazine.
Maybe, I got something put together backwards, last time I cleaned it.
I hope that if it was My mistake that it would not cause Me to get :ban:
The ribbing would be bad enough. :rotfl:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
8 years 8 months ago #45448

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by JRH_ArmaLiteAR10T on topic AR10 Magazines - Gen 1 vs Gen 2

So- I have an First run, Original AR-10T made in Illinois, so I may need to change to the late model bolt stop if I use Gen II mags.
Question, if I change to new model bolt stop, will I still be able to use Gen I mags?
8 years 5 months ago #46038

You "should" be able to,see the linked tech note above for details.
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRH_ArmaLiteAR10T
8 years 5 months ago #46041

That's where my question originated. Thanks for posting the tech note.
I hope they put them all back up on the new website.
And your quick reply. :-)

I has hoping to hear from some people who have tried using Gen I and Gen II mags in the same rifle, with the updated bolt catch.

Looks like the Armalite Gen II mags are superior in every way. Didn't want to buy any if I can't use the old ones. But looks l need to get one mag and a bolt catch, and see for myself.
8 years 5 months ago #46044

I've never seen a Gen 1 but the Gen II's are built like tanks, At one time ArmaLite offered some sort of conversion for the older rifles but I'm not sure the new owners continued it, didn't see it on the new site...........
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 5 months ago #46048

Replied by silver78 on topic AR10 Magazines - Gen 1 vs Gen 2

I have owned both Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags. Both were built like tanks. But the gen 2s are a better design. If I recall correctly the reason the Gen 1 mags had design compromises is because of the Clinton AWB. I lasted 10 years 1994-2004 and it banned the new manufacture of large capacity (over 10 rounds) magazines for the civilian market. As it was federal it covered all 50 states unlike the patchwork of state laws we have today. The key word in the law was new manufacture. Since Armalite started offering AR10Bs in 1995 they used converted M14 mag bodies since manufacturing "new" 20 round magazines for civilians was illegal. This was a clever way to get around the law. However, when the AWB expired in 2004, Armalite created Gen 2 mags which had zero design compromises. I have to go now but I will edit this post later with some added ideas.

Editing as noted above.

So next - what is the future of the current gen 2 mags? Personally, I think it is only a matter of time before Armalite stops producing the B models completely. Just look at their website all the cool AR 10 models are not available in the B model. Thus, at some point in time the mags will also stop being available. So my advice to everyone who owns a B model is simply buy as many Gen 2 mags as you think you will ever need soon. Right now you can still get 5 packs for $150. This will vanish when they stop producing B models and they decide to sunset the sale of the B magazines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRH_ArmaLiteAR10T, jtallen83
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by silver78.
8 years 5 months ago #46052

Technically I'll be limited to buying 10rd or less Mags since I Iive in Kali. This is why I need my stock of Gen I 20 rd. mags to work interchangeably.
I guess if I change to the new bolt catch lever, only issue would possibly be the Gen I spring loaded plunger being too long. Which is an easy fix.

I was aware that to old boys at ArmaLite offered updates to the early rifles for the ejector plug/spring and later for the Gen II Mag's. I just was worried about all the hassle incurred with shipping a State Registered Assault Weapon back and forth. If it was lost or stolen during shipping, I could not replace it. I'll just replace the parts myself.
8 years 5 months ago #46056

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!