Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR10 Newbie

• Thank you received: 0

Armalite AR10 Newbie was created by 3or88

I have browsed some topics however I am in new ground with the AR10. Just purchased Aramalite AR10A Supersass. I am hoping that someone can share some experience with me.

I am hoping that I chose wisely in the Armalite AR10a Supersass any feedback is greatly appreciated. I did not have much time to choose at the gun show today.

My AR10 has a 20" barrel and I would like to add an 18" barrel. Are most AR10 barrels interchangeable or what do I need to look for? Where would I start looking for barrels?

Lastly any advice for upgrades would be welcomed.

I have a Leopold scope on my savage 308 any scope suggestions are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
8 years 4 months ago #46803

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Armalite AR10 Newbie

:welcome: , glad to have you aboard!
That is a fine rifle you have bought yourself. What is your reasoning for wanting an 18" barrel?
A quick look around and I didn't find any Armalite pattern barrels available, I know they are out there but the DPMS pattern pretty much rules the aftermarket parts industry. I love Armalite products but when I decided to build a 308 AR I went with the DPMS pattern just because of this issue.
If you really want 18" then you could have the 20 cut down. ADCO has a good reputation for this sort of work;
www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/
You might also give some thought to stepping down to 16 inch and getting a whole upper direct from ArmaLite, price wise that will be close to what it will cost to have one of the custom barrel makers put an 18 together for you and there won't be much ballistic difference.
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 3or88
8 years 4 months ago #46805

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Armalite AR10 Newbie

OP,

First off, welcome to the addiction! Is your new blaster an A or B model AR10? Basically, what mags does it accept? Armalite or PMag style?

B model barrels are available, but rather scarce. I have built a few using Noveske barrels, super accurate but very expensive, like $450+. If you have the DPMS pattern A model, there are numerous barrels available. What profile would you like?
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
8 years 4 months ago #46808

I was led to believe that while the A models accept the P-mags they use the same Armalite pattern bolt and extension as the B models?
On the Armalite web site there is only one type of BCG for AR-10's.
Armalite tech note 101 discusses the differences but I can't seem to link to it so here is the paste without pictures;

"TECHNICAL NOTE 101: VISUAL DIFFERENCES AMONG
M15, AR-10B, AND AR-10A COMPONENTS
AR-10A VERSUS THE AR-10B
The AR-10A family of ArmaLite® firearms is functionally identical to our AR-10B
family. Operation, controls, and maintenance are the same. However, the AR-10A
family is designed to accept early ArmaLite AR-10 “Waffle” magazines and good quality
magazines copied from them, instead of ArmaLite’s proprietary aluminum magazines that
are used in our AR-10B family. Neither family of firearms will function correctly with
the other family’s magazines.
The AR-10B magazine is based on the magazine of the famed M-14 rifle. This magazine
was adopted during the period of the “Assault Weapons Ban”, during which new Waffle
magazines couldn’t be legally produced. The AR-10B magazine has proven to be as
supremely successful in the AR-10B as its predecessor was in the M-14, and ArmaLite
will continue to offer it.
We have tested, we recommend, and we ship polymer Magpul PMAG® 20LR magazines
with our AR-10As. Other similar derivative magazines such as the KAC, M110, and
DPMS / Remington 19 round magazines may fit and may function, but we have not tested
them so we can’t assess their reliability. You can purchase extra PMAG®s from our
website.

Physical differences between the “Waffle magazine and the M-14 style magazine
necessitate differences in some components used in AR-10As as compared to similar
components in the AR-10Bs. Some components of our AR-10A firearms are unique to
that family. For example, the AR-10A Bolt Stop, Magazine Catch, Upper Receiver, and
Lower Receiver are not the same as those in our AR-10Bs. This Tech Note will explain
the physical differences among those components.
If you need parts for your AR-10A, you may want to contact us to assure that you are
purchasing the correct parts.
BOLT STOPS
M15 AR-10B AR-10A
As you can see, the M15 and AR-10A Bolt Stops are similar in shape. However, the AR-
10A Bolt Stops are clearly marked AR-10A. And, if you look closely at the upper left
portion of those two parts, you’ll see significant visual differences between the two.
The AR-10B Bolt Stop is very different in shape than the other two. Note the relatively
large flat angled surface near the top of the AR-10B Bolt Stop.
MAGAZINE CATCHES
M15 AR-10B AR-10A
Differences among the three Magazine Catches can be seen in the shape of the boss on
the right end of each catch. (This is the boss that engages the cutout in the magazine
body in order to retain the magazine in the lower receiver.)
The M15 and AR-10B Magazine Catches are similar in design. However, the magazine
catch boss on the M15 Magazine Catch has a chamfer on its lower side (shown in red
above), whereas the AR-10B boss lacks that chamfer.
The AR-10A Magazine Catch is easy to differentiate from the other two. Note that the
boss on the right end of the AR-10A Magazine Catch is rounded on its outer end.
UPPER RECEIVERS
AR-10B (TOP) AR-10A (BOTTOM)
The M15 Upper Receiver is obviously smaller than the two AR-10 Upper Receivers, so
there should be no confusion with them.
The AR-10B and AR-10A Upper Receivers are easy to tell apart if you look at them from
the bottom. From the bottom, the two flats near the front of the AR-10B Upper Receiver
are very obvious. The AR-10A does not have those flats. The two divot cuts in the AR-
10A Upper Receiver are less obvious, but clearly visible.
LOWER RECEIVERS
AR-10B (TOP) AR-10A (BOTTOM)
The M15 Lower Receiver is obviously smaller than the two AR-10 Lower Receivers, so
there should be no confusion with them.
The AR-10A Lower Receiver has several obvious features that are not present on the AR-
10B Lower Receiver (in addition to the “AR-10A” logo on the side of the AR-10A
receiver). Note the elevated surface on the AR-10A that comes downward from the front
of the magazine catch cutout. Also note the increased upward angle of the bottom of the
mazazine well on the AR-10A. In addition, the shape of the boss around the takedown
pin hole is changed on the AR-10A."
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 4 months ago #46812

I do believe that is what I stated,......OP stated "new AR10A Super SASS"
B model = Armalite mags
A model = DPMS or PMags
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by faawrenchbndr.
8 years 4 months ago #46813

I thought you were referring to his question about the barrel, that seems to be the one thing that stayed the same between A & B models. Short of Noveske I have not seen any ArmaLite pattern barrels for sale, some say AR-10 in the title but when you read the description they are DPMS pattern.
If I understand correctly you could use a DPMS pattern barrel in an Armalite if you use a DPMS bolt with it?This proprietary stuff gets murky for me sometimes??????
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 4 months ago #46815

Replied by 3or88 on topic Armalite AR10 Newbie

It is an AR10 "A" model?
8 years 4 months ago #46816

Replied by 3or88 on topic Armalite AR10 Newbie

Does anyone know where I can locate a 5 round clip? Florida hunting only allows 5 round clips in the semi-auto.

Thanks for all the info.
8 years 4 months ago #46817

An ARMALITE AR10 A model is one that accepts Pmags,....not the older modified M14 mags like the B model ARMALITE
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
8 years 4 months ago #46818

Which model Armalite do you have?
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
8 years 4 months ago #46819

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!