Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR10B and Barrels?

• Thank you received: 0

AR10B and Barrels? was created by d30gaijin

This forum is kind of dead, not sure why?

When I wanted to go AR10 I wanted to go Armalite. No real rationale, just my preference. So I did my research and came to understand a couple of things. First, and foremost, there is no milspec technical data package for the AR10. Everyone is, essentially, free to call anything they want to an AR10. But, then again, it has kind of boiled down to the Armalite AR10B and the DPMS AR308 versions... but then Armalite saw fit to further muddy the AR10 waters with their AR10A platform. Lord have mercy! Can we ever get shit straight?

So my preference ran to the AR10B... only thing is I could not get a barrel (I built my own AR10, same as I built numerous AR15's). As a side note, Armalite sucks in terms of parts and accessories availability. Sorry but we all know it is true. So eventually I got most of the dedicated AR10B parts to make a rifle except for the barrel and BCG group. Must mention that I did finally receiven Armalite bolt carrier sans bolt... but no barrel or not was on the horizon and Armalite could not even approximate when they might arrive. Delima! But I continued my research and came across some common sense regarding compatibility. If you are building an Armalite AR10B rifle (AR10B upper and lower receiver) and can't get the barrel or bolt you need (Armalite really sucks with regards to parts inventory) you can use a DPMS pattern barrel as long as you use it with a DPMS pattern bolt. My barrel came from Ballistic Advantage. It is a 20" 7.62 chambered barrel. That I mated it with a Ballistic bolt carrier group into my Armalite AR10B upper receiver. I had my local gunsmith check my combo for headspace and it is perfect, according to him.

Bottom line is: you can mix and match AR10 parts from different makers, just realize what compatibility really means.

Don
7 years 1 month ago #47838

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10B and Barrels?

Hello d30gajijin. Yep this site is pretty slow now. A shame really, it used to be a good resource and very enjoyable. I won't go into details why, but it is regrettable. It sounds like a nice build. I have 2 AR10 B's and really like them. Just stock up on mags if you get a chance, as I am guessing the B will be DC'd some day. You have done some nice research, glad it worked out. Like to hear a range report some time.
Armalite is not the company it was before it changed hands, it seems. They lost some good people and pointed their company in a different direction.
7 years 1 month ago #47841

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic AR10B and Barrels?

You are in the right spot to continue your research. Welcome.
7 years 1 month ago #47852

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic AR10B and Barrels?

d30gaijin, as you discovered, you can do some mixing. The bolt and carrier must be from the same mfg. but you can use a DPMS, RCA or JP complete carrier assembly in your Armalite. As you did, head space should be verified. My .45 Raptor upper has a DPMS barrel extension and I run it in my Armalite B with no issues other than I had to shorten the gas tube 1/4". A custom barrel will be head spaced with a bolt that you or the gunsmith will supply. Back in '09 & '10 when Armalite barrel extentions were unobtainium builders were using DPMS extensions and later the very fine BAT machine extensions. I used a BAT extension when I spun my .22-250 barrel and will use them on all future barrels, beautiful extension and fit my receiver with .0005" clearance. Have fun with your rifle!
7 years 3 weeks ago #47871

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!