Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

M4 Optics mount suggestions

• Thank you received: 0

M4 Optics mount suggestions was created by Zabby

Recently aquired a Colt M4. I want to take the carry gadle off and put a scope on the rail. What mount will allow me to keep my front iron sights? Are the front Iron sights easily removable?
14 years 9 months ago #1754

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:M4 Optics mount suggestions

That would all depend on the sights. If it is an A2 sight-gas-block, depending on the scope and how high it sets up off the rail, most likely no.
As for taking it off, is it a removable sight on a railed gas-block, then yes you can take it off, if it is a A2 front sight gas-block or A frame tower then no, you would have to replace it with a new gas-block.

There is a site that I know of where alot of the guys own Colts and various AR-15s, and they know their stuff, you might check it out.

www.ar-15.com/index.php?r=1280
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 9 months ago #1759

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:M4 Optics mount suggestions

I would suggest a mount by LaRue.

I would just keep the A2 front sight. It will "fade" away with the use of an optic and if you are going to use a red-dot, then you can set it up to "co-witness" with it and a rear iron sight. This makes a great CQB set up.

I guess you need to ask yourself what do you want to do with the M4? Is it going to be a CQB type weapon or do you want to have some magnification to see out a bit further?

The nice thing about the A3/A4 type upper is that you can swap out all sorts of sights and accessories to suit your mission specific needs. Thus you can have a EOTech/Aimpoint style red-dot for CQB and then swap that off for an ACOG or variable powered optic for longer range shooting.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

14 years 9 months ago #1766

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:M4 Optics mount suggestions

14 years 9 months ago #1767

Replied by Zabby on topic Re:M4 Optics mount suggestions

Im thinking ill take the carry handle off and put a LaRue mount on the rail. I shoot 0-200 yards, benchrest and otherwise. So, red dot or scope? Combo? Mount ideas? Thanks for the help guys
14 years 9 months ago #1769

Hey Zabby, Ok, how about a Leupold Mark AR scope, I have it on good advice this is a affordable scope and would suit your need for the range that you described. They make two models a 1.5x4x20 or the 3x9x40, www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/ . Now for the LaRue mount, I will need to know what are you going to use for the rear site after you take off the C handle if you are planning to put one on. Give it some thought and let us know....
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 9 months ago #1771

Well, I think I may go with flip up rear sights. Perhaps front as well? I plan to add a free floating quad rail at some point. LaRue of course
14 years 9 months ago #1772

On the rear sight I would suggest MI's SPLP rear sight, www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?f...play&category_id=173

On the scope mount the LaRue LT-104 I think would work well for you. stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30

I gather that you have a railed front gas block, I will have to check with MI to see what one would work best, I think it would be the MCTAR-FFG, that would depend if the gas block is the same height as the receiver rail,if it is, it would be the MCTAR-FFR.
BMS

Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 9 months ago #1773

It is a Colt Match Target carbine. I live in MA, so it has the non-adjustable "adjustable" stock and other such annoying features to overcome. What do you mean by "railed front gas block"?
14 years 9 months ago #1774

If the one I am looking at is the same as yours then you have the A2 front sight post www.coltsmfg.com/products-c6-q9-Colt_Rifles.aspx#

In order to have a flip-up front site, you will have to change your gas block or get one that is an all in one or you will have to go with the FF hand guard and mount the FU sight on that.

The railed front gas block is like the one that comes on the A4 (M-15 armalite)or here is a link to one from MI
www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?f...play&category_id=100
or this one.

www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA11...75-b80c-90f07c3d5b62
Any way I think you should just stay with the A2 sight for now.

14 years 9 months ago #1775

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!