Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

7.62 conversion

• Thank you received: 102

7.62 conversion was created by BUILDING MY SASS

MSH if you are out there, being the gunsmith you are here is something to ponder. I was talking the other day with my friend at MI about a conversion kit to go from 7.62 to .223, of course that would not be practical, you would need a barrel sleeve and other things that would be to complicated to profit from. Then I had the Idea to go from 7.62x51 to 7.62x39, you of course would need a modified magazine and a weaker buffer spring (due to the shorter shell) the bolt should work, you would just need someway to modify the chamber. I think in theory it should work, wouldn't it. As a side project see what you think. If you make one, I will be first on the order list.
If you do, please make sure it fits The ArmaLite AR-10.
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 9 months ago #1809

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:7.62 conversion

I could be wrong, but I think the AK bullets are bigger, like .310" or .311" compared to .308". I don't know what that extra .002" or .003" would do to a .308 bore, maybe nothing.

What you need to do is get an AR-15 and then get a 7.62x39 upper. Much simpler.
14 years 9 months ago #1812

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:7.62 conversion

I do have a 7.62X39 308 bullet dia reamer but it was hard enough making that AK stainless receiver of mine on a 6.5 grendal platform. I aint getting suckered in on this one. It will be easy use the 15 frame like the norm. The 10 frame is to big for that type of project. The .311 dia bullets will squeeze down a 308 dia barrel on that case because it is a low pressure round and won't hurt any thing but just to much trouble. I hope you was yanking my chain because I got to laugh at this and take it for a joke. I've been to busy grinding a 30 Rem reamer to 6mm to get the 243 punch from an AR. That reduces the weight on the black rifles and gives me 3000 fps VLD 115gr bullets. The 10 frame is heavy in my old age and I plan to shoot more cross the course this year so I'm sheding weight on these things.MSH
14 years 9 months ago #1815

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:7.62 conversion

Edge my friend, I know the 15 platform will support the AK round, I was trying to find out if it would be possible to make it work for the AR-10. Think about it, cheaper ammo to go plink with, like the 15 can do with the .22. That's all.
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 9 months ago #1817

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:7.62 conversion

MSH, actually I was (am) serious, it was an idea I had and was wondering if it would be possible. I did not know that the 7.62x39 has a larger bullet than the 7.62x51 as Edge pointed out (thanks Edge), I thought 7.62 was 7.62. Being I don't reload (yet) I didn't know. I thought it would be a good idea, you know like the .22 is for the 15, but I guess if it was a practical idea some else would have thought of it before me, my bad. So I guess the answer is no, it is not practical and not that possible. Correct.
Thanks for your input guys. I guess it is back to the drawing board................
BMS

14 years 9 months ago #1818

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by stef on topic Re:7.62 conversion

Maybe impossible to find but the ARTILLERIE INRICHTINGEN In Holland made an A.R.10 in 7.62x39 in the late 50s and early 60s.
I don't think it was sold much but I have seen one in the warmuseum in Delft in Holland.I have to look for it but I know I got a picture of it.When I find it I will put it on the gallery.Stef
14 years 3 months ago #2840

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:7.62 conversion

Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by a Guest.
14 years 3 months ago #2841

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!