Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New to the ar10 and have some build questions

• Thank you received: 0

New to the ar10 and have some build questions was created by bigbearhunter

I'm new to the ar10 but not the the ar platform. I've been building ar15's for years.
I have an armalite stripped lower and was told that the standard ar15 LPK will work in this is this true also that a standard butstock and buffer/spring will work also. Any truth to this?
I'm looking for parts for a hunting build. Ultimately will be doing a 338fed at somepoint if anyone hase parts they arent using and wants to get rid of let me know.
Thanks
TODD
bigbearhunter@mesanetworks.net

almost forgot I had read something about some parts only working for the armalite and not interchangeable. any help on this would be helpfull
thanks
15 years 8 months ago #231

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:New to the ar10 and have some build questions

I am not sure about the AR15 LPK working for an AR-10. It seems to me that the mag well would not be the correct size. The buttstocks are interchangable but the buffer and springs are different weight and stiffnesses. The AR-10 bolt carrier is much larger.

Armalite and DPMS do have different receivers and barrel nuts so there is some considerations to be made when selecting components to complement one another. I've never built an AR-10 or AR-15. Just worked on my AR-10 from time to time.

Thanks for visiting! I am in the process right now of writing up a project to have all of the forum members help design "The Ultimate AR-10" right here on the forum.
15 years 8 months ago #232

Replied by bigbearhunter on topic Re:New to the ar10 and have some build questions

thanks for the info, I'd be interested in what you are doing if there is anything I can help with please let me know.
TODD
15 years 8 months ago #234

Replied by woofe on topic Re:New to the ar10 and have some build questions

AR-15 LPK (lower parts kit) will work just fine. However, the AR-10 has a beefier Bolt catch and a longer shaft on the mag catch to go thru the thicker receiver. You can buy these parts directly from Amalite.

The buttstocks and rifle receiver extension are the same. You will need the AR-10 specific buffer and spring. I recommend using the A1 length buttstock as the AR-10 receiver adds about 1 inch to the length of pull.

If you want to use the AR-15 carbine stock and buffer tube, this will work as well, but you will need a short heavy buffer such as that sold by Slash on the AR-15 board.

Turns out the rifle and the carbine both use the same AR-10 specific recoil spring. Go figure

woofe
15 years 7 months ago #319

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!