Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR Not working.

• Thank you received: 0

AR Not working. was created by crawldady

Hey everyone. Its only my second post and already ive got a problem. LOL.
I bought a 338 federal upper and the bolt won't go all the way into the chamber. The bolt will get right up to the face of the lugs and stop, it won't rotate or retract into the bolt carrier. I think this is because the bolt carrier hasn't gone far enough for the pin to rotate outward.Also, I can't really tell if the lugs on the bolt and barrel are interfearing with each other.
Can anyone help.
14 years 5 months ago #2421

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:AR Not working.

Has this rifle been fired?

When the bolt carrier is removed from the upper does the bolt move freely?

Something you might try.... Put a long strip of paper 1/2" or so wide in the chamber and close the bolt on it. You should be able to see how the bolt face is lining up with the chamber.

If the barrel was removed to install a handguard the barrel could be out of alignment.
14 years 5 months ago #2422

Replied by crawldady on topic Re:AR Not working.

Thanks for the info.
The bolt moves freely when out of the rifle. The BCG and reciever show no signs of wear, the upper still had the thick packing grease like when there from the factory.
I tried the paper, I placed a piece over the chamber lugs and closed the bolt untill it stopped. The paper came out with impressions, all the lugs poked holes in the paper except the ones in the top of the reciever. The paper came out flat in the area of the two lugs. Does this narrow it down any?
Thanks again for your help.
14 years 5 months ago #2424

One more thing i noticed is that when looking into the chamber from the bottom of the reciever, the lugs on the left hand side all have light abrasions on one side of each lug from the bolt, the right hand side lugs barely show any abrasions.
It looks like the chamber or barrel needs to rotate maybe a sixteenth of an inch clockwise.
I have never taken apart an AR so this might take some research. Does anybody know where to find some instructions on this?
Thanjs again.
14 years 5 months ago #2427

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by mtrmn on topic Re:AR Not working.

If this gun has ever worked before, it should do so again. Has it ever been fired? Sounds to like maybe the bolt is in the carrier upside-down??? I'm not sure it could even be assembled upside-down. IF this is a new upper, it needs to go back to the mfg. If made by any reputable maker, they should take care of it.
14 years 5 months ago #2431

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:AR Not working.

My thoughts on this is there is not enough lug clearance between the barrel extention ( locking lugs ) and the bolt. Seen a rash of this lately.MSH
14 years 5 months ago #2438

It does seem like a clearance issue. Is there any way to fix it? technically i bought this this "used" so I don't know if Armalite will work on it. I am going to contact them today.
14 years 5 months ago #2450

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:AR Not working.

Well I am no gun smith or an expert, I would have to agree and check the bolt, did it once, freaked out, but fixed it...
MSH, a rash of this lately, that is a scary thought, AR-10s going south....as far as quality...
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 5 months ago #2452

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:AR Not working.

Some one mess up on the program chambering the barrels. There is a way of fixing the problem if its clearance.MSH
14 years 5 months ago #2456

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:AR Not working.

I'd recommend trying to send it back. It never hurts to ask. After that I would send a PM to MSH and get his address and send it his way to come back better than new.
14 years 5 months ago #2457

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!