Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Safe Velocity

• Thank you received: 0

Safe Velocity was created by Hillcountry

Hello everyone,
I've had my Armalite AR 10 A4 in .308 for about 3 weeks. I put a Zeiss Conquest 3X9 on it using Warne Tatical rings. The only ammo I shot so far in MagTech 150 gr. FMJ. I can shoot a 1 1/2" group at 100 yds. I want to load Hornady 165 gr. bullets. What is a safe velocity I should load these at? I really like the gun. I might invest in a lighter trigger someday.
14 years 5 months ago #2468

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Safe Velocity

Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by a Guest.
14 years 5 months ago #2469

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Safe Velocity

When you say "safe velocity", does that mean you have a chronograph to measure velocity? If so, that's great. Besides the advice to stay within load ranges from reputable reloading manuals, another safeguard is to buy some factory ammo with Hornady 165gr bullets and chronograph them. That establishes a good baseline. Any loads you put together that are faster than those factory rounds are likely to be "red line" or above. For safey sake, stay at or below the velocity of the factory ammo in your rifle.

.308 (7.62mm) is definitely NOT like, say, .45-70, where some published loads can be safely exceeded in CERTAIN types of rifles. .308 is loaded hot for modern guns.

I've said this before in this forum, but I'd highly recommend you obtain the latest Sierra loading manual (edition V), and read the chapter entitled "Gas Gun Reloading", page 165. It thoroughly covers the idiosyncracies of loading for gas operated semiautos.
14 years 5 months ago #2470

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!