Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Hope this is ok to post

• Thank you received: 42

Hope this is ok to post was created by zfk55

I hope you don't mind my posting this for my father. Its the culmination of our experiments with our Wilson AR10 and a long series of tests.
I don't know right now when he'll be back. This is for Edge and Penderes? Hope I spelled that right.

Latigo

What a simple mis-statement can do.
This is the original target of shots 6 through 10 from our Wilson AR10 performed by Mr. Wilson in Arizona. The very first shot is the loner. The first 4 shots 1 through 4 were not done on the range. They were fired just to test extraction/ejection on the brand new rifle.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This is the info on the target. We pretty much took this as gospel since the barrel is an internally tapered, electro polished 7-14 chambered and throated for a specific bullet. Chamber tolerances are so tight that there's no room for error at all.

A lot of rounds and experimenting has us dancing right inside the MOA ring, but not duplicating the original target. Until today.
His recommendation on corcob dwell time was off by a bunch. He had forgotten what he told us. Instead of 2, 3, 4 and more miunutes it ended up at 30 seconds dwell time in the corcob, and..... a minor thing of the powder amo0unt being off. The printed info on the target is 43gr of RE15. Period. After Dad talked to him last week he said Huh?? 43 grains? 42 grains. Did I write 43 on the target?
Oh well.

So we ran tests. Target # 1 is 42 grains. First shot is the cold shot loner, but its probably not a cold shot. The chrono put it a full 40fps out from the following 4 shots that had a SD of 5fps. The other 4 are .75" with two groups of two.

Target #2 is 42.5gr. All 5 shots are .43" They all chrono'd virtually the same.

Now up to the original 43gr and it opened right up into a semi-vertical string.

I'll post some 10 and 20 round shots after we reload some more cartridges. I have to say the 4064 also gave us a bunch of consistent MOA groups, but after seeing the first 6 shots from Wilson we were determined to match or better it. We did. If the weather warms up before long we'll do some 500 yard targets. Still hanging around 30 in the daytime here, but the ShootShed stays around 70 inside. Too bad we didn't get the 500 yard shed built before winter.

I'm very happy with both the Wilson and our process now, so next will be the zfk55, hBN and the other Swiss rifles.

Both Moly and hBN impact coating are no done in our Dillon Commercial. We're manufacturing these tops now for Graf & Sons. Not sure when they'll be on their website but pretty soon.

The new Dillon Commercial Vibrator/Tumbler.
The large motor easily handles 4 larger jars, two for Moly coating and two with corncob. The CNC cut top is 1" thick and is a perfect fit.
The red dust inside is from its first run cleaning 500 Lake City LR cases. 500 at one time. I was surprised it handled that many.

The Frankfort Vibrator handles two larger jars for hBN impact coating instead of 4 small ones.

Once we begin with the Swiss rifles I'll post results, but the Wilson is first.

Thanks all, and my Dad sends his best.

Latigo
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
14 years 3 months ago #2964

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Hope this is ok to post

Latigo, yes it is ok. I hope he is doing ok, he is missed on the board....I wish him well.
That is very impressive....42.5 R15, I was going to ask him what he thought would be a good charge, I have been considering getting some, my local dealer carries it...
Nice grouping on the test, hey even the other wasn't bad by my standards... :lol:
Tell him I said Hi, and for spelling my name, well it has been done worse....LOL :lol:
PJE.........BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 3 months ago #2965

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!