Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

.308 Ammo

• Thank you received: 0

.308 Ammo was created by huntenthusiast

I've read on some forums about certain .308 ammo to avoid. African surplus was one of them. Has anyone had problems with any other brands or countries ammo that should be steered from?
14 years 1 month ago #3211

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:.308 Ammo

Be careful of surplus ammo, I am sure MSH will have some words of wisdom...One I know of is the Wolf, steel cased ammo...runs a risk of scratching the chamber up and I have also heard that the lacquer on the shells is inconsistent and will wreak havoc with with feeding and extracting...so I have heard. That is the bulk ammo, the cheap stuff. As I said, MSH will hopefully have more, as well as a few others....Oh and Beware of corrosive primers...NOT GOOD.
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 1 month ago #3213

Replied by cloud7777 on topic Re:.308 Ammo

I have a AR10nm on order and have a question about some CMP ammo I have. Federal 308 Match 180GR Sierra BTHP. Have you heard of any problems useing this ammo? Thanks.
14 years 1 month ago #3215

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:.308 Ammo

The biggest problem on the surplus ammo is it could be new or old. It only takes a small amount of ink to date it. Most of it is OK but an an M1 grand match in Salsbury a few years back the Greek ammo that was marked with a current date blew up some grands and cost the club because the rules are club suppled ammo for grand matches. You wont have any problems with US stuff. If its old it is wise to bump the bullet .025 in the case to stop an accident from high pressure caused from jacket to case weld. Its best to load before shooting on a dry day with fresh powder and primers. There is still corrosive primmers out there on new stuff from off shore. Its best to have the cases lubed very lightly for feeding and chamber wear.
This Fed 180 ammo is good stuff. That was the army std for a while now the 175gr is. Steel cases is OK for AKs pig guns and chrome chambers but thats where its stops. I have some steel head brass cases that were made in Charleston SC years ago that were super cases but they are no longer made. Im looling for more of them. The Wolf primers are good primers (hot). Load if you can its the best way.MSH
14 years 1 month ago #3216

Replied by cloud7777 on topic Re:.308 Ammo

Thanks for the info on Federal ammo. The box has a 9/08 date so its not that old. I just never saw any info on 180 grain it was all about 175 or lighter. I have a couple of boxes of American Tactical 150 and was thinking about using it for barel break in, any thoughts on that. I am a new member and appreciate any info on the National Match rifle. I hope to get it in the next couple months, Thanks
14 years 1 month ago #3217

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by arkypete on topic Re:.308 Ammo

BUILDING MY SASS wrote:
I have two AR10s one is a match gun that gets fed Federal cases loaded with 168 grain BTHP, loaded by me. The second one is the AR10-a4 that really likes the Wolf steel cased ammo. It's now working it's way thru the second thousand round case.
I've not had problem one with this ammo.

Jim
14 years 1 month ago #3218

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:.308 Ammo

Is this for match rifle or service rifle, 2 different cats.MSH
14 years 1 month ago #3219

I will add that the recommendation about the steel cases also came from ArmaLite....I know that they are abit conservative with what to use...but I always figure, use it only as a last resort...for what these guns cost....don't want to take the chance...
Oh and by the way....I personally use Hornady 168 gr TAP or Match BTHP or the A-max when shooting for top accuracy...use the federal or Remington 150gr just to make holes...Oh and I use the Ultra Max 168gr BTHP for plinking...plus my reloads as well...but those I am still working up....
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 1 month ago #3224

Replied by huntenthusiast on topic Re:.308 Ammo

It's going to be a match rifle. Considering that, I suppose the question doesn't make much sense since putting cheap grade ammo through it wouldn't be too smart or efficient.

I'd heard in the past about not putting Wolf steel through an aluminum receiver and the possible gumming up from the laquer.

Thanks for your input.
14 years 1 month ago #3226

Hunten, now this is just my experience, but I would go with Hornady ammo, that is what I seasoned mine with, broke it in the way the manual stated...it sucks kinda of, but worth it in the end...at least for me...My first 300 to 400 rounds were nothing but the Hornady 168gr ammo...Now some are going to disagree which is fine, but Hornady makes some of the best "over the counter" ammo there is on the market...it is a small company dedicated to the precise development of ammunition and the quality...just something to think about....the two places where I get it from is these two

www.midwayusa.com/

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/cat...store*left*cat602007

Cabela's is a bit higher than midway, but sometimes you get it when and where you can....some places near you may carry it...
Good Luck.
BMS

14 years 1 month ago #3231

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!