Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

DPMS Barrel on an Armalite upper?

• Thank you received: 0

DPMS Barrel on an Armalite upper? was created by davewrit

I want a .260, and I don't want to give up my AR-10T. Talked to the factory, and they do have a .260 in their plans but no launch date in the near future.

I bought a new DPMS .260 barrel and thought I would just swap it out. Then I found out there are some differences between the Armalite and DPMS 10's.

Can sombody help a newbie out?

Will it work?

Any other issues?

Thanks in advance!!
14 years 1 month ago #3629

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by The Duck of Death on topic Re:DPMS Barrel on an Armalite upper?

I don't know much about the DPMS versions. They use different magazines. Do they use a different barrel extension? Different geometry for the different magazine? Different bolt then too?

Sounds like maybe a not so good idea up to possibly flirting with disaster.
14 years 1 month ago #3633

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:DPMS Barrel on an Armalite upper?

The DPMS barrel will fit in your receiver just fine. Who ever explained that is full of it. The receivers is the problem. You can put an Armalite upper on a DPMS lower with a big void and mismatch of the receivers and it will fire but it don't look good and there is a minor push pin dia differance. We use the same barrel extension (locking lugs) on both rifles. Armalites gas tube is .240 longer which makes them odd man out again and a STD AR 15 gas tube is used on the DPMS stuff. The nut that holds the barrel on the receivers is 16 TPI on the Armalite and 18 TPI on the Rem,Knight, and DPMS. Now if the bolt does not fit the new barrel extension you have an old when they didn't take a short cut unit there and its real easy to fix that also. So no problem game on.MSH
14 years 1 month ago #3639

Replied by davewrit on topic Re:DPMS Barrel on an Armalite upper?

Thanks SO much! What is the bolt / barrel extension fix IF there is an issue?

DW
14 years 1 month ago #3650

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

The bolt has to be chamfered on the outer side of the lugs length wise. Its best to take your bolt carrier out and test it in the new barrel and do the check see before assembly. Put the gas system in place on the barrel and measure the gas tube as it comes off the barrel extension. It should stick past the barrel extension by between 1" and 15/16s to be the correct length. That is also good for the AR-15.MSH
14 years 1 month ago #3651

Replied by davewrit on topic Re:DPMS Barrel on an Armalite upper?

Again - thanks!

My bolt seems fine - but it pointed out my gas block from the AR-10T is a larger diameter than the new barrel.

I PM'd you for your email for some work to be done - I'd rather send it to the expert!
14 years 1 month ago #3652

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

The gas manifolds are .750, .940 or .875 usually, now and then there is some odd balls out there. It sounds like what you need is a parts match up. I'm home now call me.MSH
14 years 1 month ago #3653

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!