Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What kind of accurace can I expect?

• Thank you received: 0

What kind of accurace can I expect? was created by Ultrastealth

I'm thinking of rebarreling with a Novesky 18" barrel. How accurate are they generally?
14 years 1 month ago #3656

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:What kind of accurace can I expect?

There is no way of knowing what kind of blank they use but your accuracy is in the tube itsself, you got a good one or you aint. Going with a barrel maker of known quality gives you a better idea of what you might get but you never know. (Example) I made up a Lilja 14" SBR for a customer and it is shooting in the low 1s for groups at 100yds but at 200 yds it is not that same tiger because of bullet speed. But this is an SBR which is perfect for 3 gun stuff. A longer barrel would improve things at 200yds but cuts down on your speed through the shooting points. On the same but opposite end The palma barrels that I make up for Kent and Norm are long and skinny. The 32" length is a must at keeping the 155s supersonic at 1000yds. Now the groups arnt as good at 100yds but at a 1000yds they are well in the 1/2 MOA range. There are a lot of factors as to usage and style of shooting for best barrel accuracy. I would ask who makes the blanks for them, who fits the barrels, not always the same then make a judgement.MSH
14 years 1 month ago #3658

Replied by Hebs on topic Re:What kind of accurace can I expect?

What do you have and what kind of accuracy are you getting now? I've got a factory Bushmaster AR-10 and I'm doing less than .5" group at 100yds.

Also, what bullets are you using? Reloads? I'm using 150gr Sierra Pro Hunter's.
14 years 1 month ago #3659

Replied by Ultrastealth on topic Re:What kind of accurace can I expect?

I have an Armalite AR-10 carbine that shoots 1.5-2" with Hornady 150gr. SST's and way worse than that with the new Superformance ammo. I'm looking for something that will shoot 1" or better with the Superformance.
14 years 1 month ago #3660

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:What kind of accurace can I expect?

for shooting,,,,,try the 168 gr A-max or the BTHP-match or the tap...but stay at 168...see the pics in the gallery that I posted...Targets...
If you really want a new barrel...buy it from the Master...MSH..he will get you a good one...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 1 month ago #3661

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:What kind of accurace can I expect?

Sorry about the last post, wasn't being short, was in a hurry...but seriously, I have sent almost all 168 grn down range out of a 16" barrel and had good results...if I am wrong on this well correct me...but, you are not going to get the same hole accuracy out of a 16" stock barrel...I have found that I can pull 3 in close, if I pick different targets, I get the sub MOA almost all the time...and for what I am preparing for...that is what counts...but if you are going to do comp shooting then you may want a longer barreled uppper...just my two cents worth...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 1 month ago #3664

Replied by Hebs on topic Re:What kind of accurace can I expect?

So, I wouldn't be deadset on the ammo. You may find that your barrel likes something completely different. That goes for bullet weight as well when it comes to reloads. I shoot Sierra 165gr BTHP and Berger 168gr Hunter VLD's out of my rem 700 30/06. The gun loves both bullets in Norma brass with winchester primers and IMR 4350 stick powder.

My AR-10 .308 loves the flat based 150gr Sierra Pro hunters.

BMS's gun shoots the 168gr well.

I tightned up my 1" - .5" shot group to almost a 0" group on my remington just by changing the seating depth .002 of an inch and the bullet from Sierra to Berger.

If you want a constant, highly accurate gun, you need to think more about the ammo you shoot out of it, and not about the barrel. (under 300yds of course) I'll replace the barrel on my old remington when I finally wear it out, but as of right now the factory barrel is shooting just as good as a $400 aftermarket barrel.
14 years 1 month ago #3667

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!