Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR 10 T extras

• Thank you received: 67

AR 10 T extras was created by foxhunter

Couldn't find a super SASS anywhere, but I did find a new AR10T in a local gun shop. Picking it up tomorrow. Now I need to figure out what to put on it. Any thoughts on best scope? Doubt I will ever try to hit anything beyond 300yds, but may need to shoot as close as 50 ft (deer, coyote)Thinking about US optics 1.8-10x. I really like Leupold too. Ihave the vari x 3 series on my hunting rifles and handguns.
Can anyone tell me their most accurate off the shelf loads for their 308?
15 years 6 months ago #366

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:AR 10 T extras

Picked up my ar10t yesterday. I ordered a nightforce 2.5-10x 32 with the illuminated np-r2 reticle. I won't be competing, just my own target shooting and an occasional varmit, so I figured the extra power on a scope couldn't be justified and I really like the look of this nightforce
Boy, the recommended break in procedure looks like a real pain. guess I will start that as soon as the scope arrives.
Question- During break in when I am not that concerned about auperior accuracy, is there any reason I should use the Arma Lite recommended black talon match ammo( which I will have to order as no stores carry around here), when I can get jacketed russian 308 for under $7.00????
15 years 6 months ago #376

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by bigwheel on topic Re:AR 10 T extras

You can break it in with cheap ammo and why wait for the scope, without it you won't be tempted
to keep shooting. Federal Match shoots by far the best in mine, and is known for being the best load
in most 308's ars, and bolts.
15 years 6 months ago #377

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:AR 10 T extras

The only problem with the Federal Match ammo is the brass case is somewhat soft causing small slivers to shear off during operation which sometimes find their way behind the ejector causing cycling problems. At least that is my understanding.With that being said, some people run their AR-10s on the stuff without a hiccup. I think I will pick up a box and burn a few rounds just to see for myself if any minute particles are sheared off. If so, I will probably just stockpile Match grade NATO ammo for use in my new T.
15 years 6 months ago #383

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:AR 10 T extras

Last I read they were recommending Black Hills Moly for their Match Barrel break-ins. The theory is the Moly (lubricant) helps reduce the wear on the barrel as it relaxes/adapts/smooths out under the loads. From an engineering standpoint this makes some sense, but I'm not sure how big a difference you'd get between that and using regular FMJ.

Given Armalite's assertion that they attribute most match barrel issues with improper break-in/abuse, I plan to follow their procedure precisely just to be safe.
15 years 6 months ago #389

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!