Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Problems with Accuracy out of 2 AR10Ts

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by banjobob on topic Re:Problems with Accuracy out of 2 AR10Ts

Thanks for all suggestions, I've been out of town without Internet

I've only tried an OAL of 2.800. My thought was that I really wanted an ultra reliable rifle even at the expense of some accuracy. I think I'm going to try increasing length a bit and see what it does.

I'm also not adverse to trying other powders. The hard part about that is I have around 24 lbs of varget. Same problem with bullets. I have 2300 168 smk. I got a good deal on it all I hope it was not a costly mistake.

It seems like everyone at the AR15 armalite AR10 forum say this combo is their preferred. I liked the idea of varget because of it's temperature insensitivity.

The hard part about understanding what's going on with my grouping is the pattern. It almost seems like I'm shooting two different groups. 2 shots will be touching and then the next 3 will touching or close to each other only the 2 groups are 1 inch apart. This happens very frequently. Maybe this is nothing I've just never experienced this so many times.

I've thought about having barrel re crowned but don't want to waste time or money if it's something else.
13 years 10 months ago #4562

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Hebs on topic Re:Problems with Accuracy out of 2 AR10Ts

You could try just polishing the crown. That can help. I've seen improvments on my Rem700 from that. How clean the barrel and action is can also affect it. My BAR-10 is far from perfect. When it's clean it's shot groups are wider. Then there's a sweet spot after about 9 rounds or so and then after 20 or so, it starts to open up again.

I've seen your grouping problem before with one of the last custom rifles that my friend had built for him. He tried EVERYTHING. Different bullets, loads, brass, Seating depths, cryoed the barrel, swapped out the action, stock, bolt, I mean everything. Finally sent the barrel back to Lilja a second time and even though they couldn't find a problem with it, they replaced it. It fixed his grouping issue.
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Hebs.
13 years 10 months ago #4563

Replied by lotoofla on topic Re:Problems with Accuracy out of 2 AR10Ts

What I'm saying is, with over .090+" bullet jump from bullet thats seated out to 2.830" to begin with from the magazine it, it does'nt become viable. But from the manufactures perspective, they feel safer with the longer 'jump' because of those people who make hot loads. If I had 0.000" bullet jump from this set to start with THEN this will work. That's what I going to do with the 2 new uppers I building,
Tom
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by lotoofla.
13 years 10 months ago #4572

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Problems with Accuracy out of 2 AR10Ts

Reseating your bullets and banging your throat up at the same time aint a good idea on auto loaders.MSH
13 years 10 months ago #4573

Replied by lotoofla on topic Re:Problems with Accuracy out of 2 AR10Ts

I thought than EVERBODY knew how to do this!! The procedure is done 'BOLT-LESS'.!! You make up your long cartridge, and use your finger to stuff it in, if it sticks it's to long, then seat the bullet a little deeper, till it freely falls out it's at the max length.
13 years 10 months ago #4575

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re:Problems with Accuracy out of 2 AR10Ts

lotoofla,

Instead of constantly reseating your bullets in a press, wouldn't an easier and faster method be to use a spent brass and loosely insert your bullet into the brass. Then slide the bullet/brass combination into the rifle using finger pressure as you stated. The bullet will automatically seat itself to the max 0.000 length. Repeat this a few times until you are confident in the measurement and you have repeatability of your measurements.

Jer
13 years 10 months ago #4670

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

JustME You missed what he's up to, thats what the stoney point tools and others is for. This cat is wanting to touch the lands with the bullets like a bolt gun and that won't work with the auto loaders. Read some of his other stuff and you well get the idea. I've done been emailed wanting to know who he is and what to do about him. Putting out info that is mechanical wrong like on the M14 will get some in trouble. You are correct in your assessment of the easy way to find the OAL. What we have is an individual that puts junk out here so others will correct him and he travels around on web sites being an authority or BS artist. Some of the elementry crap as stated is not of an educated armor. My company is starting up on the next generation of receivers,pistons and handguards for these rifles and we learn something every day. Read all that stuff he's put out on all the subjects and take it for what it is. The staff is discussing this. MSH
13 years 10 months ago #4671

Replied by banjobob on topic Re:Problems with Accuracy out of 2 AR10Ts

mmsshh wrote:
MSH,

I really have no idea what you're talking about. The last thing I am is an authority on guns. I've never portrayed myself as such, here or anywhere. I've never put out any info about an M14, I've never even held one let alone shot one. I'm not an armorer nor have I ever portrayed myself as such.

I bought my first AR10 6 months ago and I'm having a hard time getting it to shoot the way I think it should. I've been trying to rule out myself as the source of the problem as well with trying to learn how to make these rifles shoot well.

If I've said something that represented myself as anything different than what I stated above please post a link and if it's me I'll do what is necessary to correct any inaccuracies on my part. Otherwise, I think you might have me mixed up with someone else.

Rob
13 years 10 months ago #4674

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Problems with Accuracy out of 2 AR10Ts

Banjo...I don't think he was referring to you.....unless I am reading all this wrong...but I am sure it's not you he was talking about....

BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 10 months ago #4675

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Banjobob not you, read back some and you will figure it out. Sorry about the mix up.MSH
13 years 10 months ago #4676

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!