Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Collapsible stock questions for Armalite and DPMS

• Thank you received: 0

Collapsible stock questions for Armalite and DPMS was created by dvdivx

Need to get a collapsible stock for both my DPMS and Armalite. Both manufacturers seem to be backed up forever at this point. Armalite is 10A4F and the DPMS is LR-308 Classic. Tried to measure the tube to see if it's mil-spec or commercial but I don't see how it's possible to measure without taking the current stock off. Both guns were purchased mid 2008. Actual links to stocks would be great. I was looking at the Command Arms stocks but they ask for mil-spec or commercial. Tapco and other brands don't. I also don't know if I can just use a AR-15 stock for an AR-10. Also would the stock for the DPMS and Armalite be the same?
15 years 4 months ago #863

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Collapsible stock questions for Armalite and DPMS

From my research, the AR-10 has a different length tube, so at the very least you'll need a different spring and buffer.

Might want to read through this:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=120&t=229073
15 years 4 months ago #872

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by ARMILITE1015 on topic Re:Collapsible stock questions for Armalite and DPMS

According to Brownells Colt is the only one that uses the MIL SPEC buffer tube. Every one else is commercial. I just went through this with them this weekend. I believe that the new production AR's use all the same stocks. Just the buffers themeselves and the springs are different
15 years 4 months ago #880

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by featherblue on topic Re:Collapsible stock questions for Armalite and DPMS

Go to the AR-10 section at AR15.com. There is a guy there who goes by the handle "SLASH". He is THE AUTHORITY on AR-10 buffers, etc. He can set you straight and supply buffers, etc.
15 years 4 months ago #881

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by THREEDFLYER on topic Re:Collapsible stock questions for Armalite and DPMS

I just built up my first Noveske/Armalite AR-10 and went through heck educating myself about buffer tubes, etc.
What I ended up doing was using a CAA AR-15 carbine length stock kit and using the stock AR-10 buffer spring. I then ordered up one of Slash's carbine AR-10 buffers, which are approx 5/8" shorter than the stock AR-10 buffer. That allows you to use the AR-15 carbine buffer tube. Will be doing my first range test with this new rifle on 2/6/09.
Tom
15 years 3 months ago #942

Replied by THREEDFLYER on topic Re:Collapsible stock questions for Armalite and DPMS

After hitting the range today, I am sad to say that my buffer tube issues are not solved.
I shot a few rounds of US Match ammo with no problems, but once I switched to some Nato ammo the problem surfaced.
First of all, the AR15 buffer tube and Slash's buffer does not seem to allow the buffer to retract far enough to allow the bolt latch to engage after the last round using the hotter Nato ammo.
I am getting a "bounce back" action and the bolt is flying past the bolt latch and closing.
When I pull back the bolt manually and look at the bolt latch...the bolt is only about 1/16" from the latch. On my AR15's...I have at least 1/4" of clearance.

So...I will email Slash and get his take, but I think I am going to break down and purchase an actual AR10 Buffer Tube from Noveske and be done with it.

Tom
15 years 3 months ago #944

Installed the Mil-Spec Vltor AR-10 Carbine tube, the H3 carbine buffer and the stock buffer spring. Checked function adn all works as it should!
3D
15 years 3 months ago #1005

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!