Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Barrel break in non match grade. Question

• Thank you received: 21

Barrel break in non match grade. Question was created by Moby

I'm pretty sure I have a chrome lined barrel but wouldn't it still be a good idea to break it in as if I did? Below is the Armalite break in from the manual. It says I don't need to but I'm assuming it's a good idea anyway?
Any thoughts????

“Match barrels” are any of our stainless steel barrels. Our chrome lined barrels do not require
break in. ArmaLite® has spoken with several barrel manufacturers. NONE of them recommend
breaking in barrels using abrasives. For optimum accuracy and barrel life, ArmaLite®
recommends the following break-in procedure:
1. Fire 9 single shots. After each shot, push a cotton patch wet with solvent through the bore.
Then wet a bronze brush with solvent and stroke the barrel five to ten round trips. Follow with
another wet patch and then a dry patch or two. (We do NOT recommend nylon or stainless steel
brushes.) After you finish, wash the solvent off your brush so that the brush won’t deteriorate.
2. From 10 to 30 shots, clean as above after each five shots. Initial break-in should now be
complete.
For subsequent, normal cleaning, it is suggested that you clean after each range session. It is
often suggested that the barrel be brushed one stroke for each shot fired.
11 years 10 months ago #11726

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Barrel break in non match grade. Question

This is a "HIGHLY" debated subject...some say yes, others say no...and so on.
Most likely you have a chrome lined barrel unless it is a "T" model with a stainless steal barrel...
I have a (pre forward assist) AR-10 A4 C...16" light barrel...when I bought it I followed the "Break In" instructions for a Match barrel, though I did not need too, because I wanted the best possible break in for the highest accuracy possible..That being said, I also used "top quality" ammo for the first 500 rounds, and yes it was expensive but well worth it...The MOA for my rifle is 2 MOA at 100 yards as stated by ArmaLite...I have shot almost 0 MOA (dead center) at 100 yards with it.
Now mind you I do not shoot for "Groups"...I shoot for Total Accuracy, as in one shot move to the next target...or use the same target as if it were a new one.
In breaking in my AR-10, I also lightly oiled the barrel each time it was cleaned in the initial break in, as in one round...10 times, then 5 rounds for the 50, and so on....
It is "VERY MUCH" up to the individual as to how you want to break in your rifle.
My recommendations...Break it in as if were a "Match" grade barrel and use "top quality" ammo to do it...
Think of it like "Seasoning" the barrel, just like you would with a Cast Iron frying pan...To have the best it can be...do it right...
Just my .25 cents worth on the subject....other may vary... :dry:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 10 months ago #11727

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Barrel break in non match grade. Question

I will say that a CL barrel DOES require a small amount of break in, if nothing more than to even out the imperfections of the chrome lining (Known as "clumping"). It need not be a long drawn out affair, but as BMS stated use good quality ammo to do it.
RLTW
11 years 10 months ago #11730

Replied by Moby on topic Re: Barrel break in non match grade. Question

Thanks fella's.
I'm looking forward to it.
I purchased 500 rounds of Federal American Eagle 150 grain FMJ.

Is this a quality ammo for breaking in? If you have a better suggestion please let me know.

Sorry for all the questions but I only get one chance to break it in.
I want to do this right.

www.luckygunner.com/federal-308-win-ammo...ale-308150fmjbtae-20
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Moby.
11 years 10 months ago #11735

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Barrel break in non match grade. Question

First off...Not a Problem asking Question...anyone who takes offense to those who ask for help...well they don't need to be here...Just my Opinion.
I can't really say for you as to what to use...my self I went with Hornady 168gr A-Max and BTHP Match...for the first 500 rounds, believe me...alot of money spent as well as time...but in the end...it was worth it...
Saying that...I would say..go with Hornady 168gr BTHP for at least the first 100 rounds...I know I said I can say for you...just my opinion...the manual says 168gr is "The Optimum" for the AR-10...even if it is one box at a time...took me well over a year to get mine right where I wanted it...
so you decide...
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
11 years 10 months ago #11739

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Barrel break in non match grade. Question

I did the break in thing for the first hundred rounds even though I have a chrome lined 20 inch, just being careful. I tried a box of about anything I could find for the first 500 or so, never had a glitch. Strangely when I put my rifle on a lead sled the best groups come from cheap Pakistani surplus for me, better than match loads :unsure: All around my rifle seems to like the 150 grain rather than heavier. I've done very little at over 200 yards so things might change around at longer ranges.
Good looking rifle! You were advised well, after 500 rounds you'll have a good idea if and what you may want to spend money on.
I know I could google it but, What kind of reticle does that scope have?
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 10 months ago #11741

It's got a circle X jtallen,

www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflesc...hy-xlt/product/?n=17

The scope was only $89 and while I'm not well versed in scopes it's as clear and bright as I could want. It zooms pretty well.

I've not had a chance to shoot yet or compare it to other scopes. I intend to put it on my Rugar 10/22 that I just dropped into an Archangel Tactical stock.

Once I break in the AR10, get fairly good with the iron sights, and this scope, I'll up grade to a more expensive scope if need be. So far I've a bit on my plate. Gary Sansone just sent me all my reloading gear and I need to learn to do that also.
11 years 10 months ago #11742

Here is something that may aid you getting started reloading...
BMS

Reloading Vids

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moby
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
11 years 10 months ago #11743

How perfect is that BMS!!!
Thanks bro. I'm looking forward to getting into reloading.
My plates been full with the wifes birthday, the kids sports, and my small business. BUT.....this weekend is fathers day!!!
I'M GOING TO KILL PAPER !!!!!!! Can't wait to pop off some rounds in this bad boy!!!!!!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BUILDING MY SASS
11 years 10 months ago #11748

Not a Problem...though I am no Instructor...and the vids are merely a demonstration... ;) I have been taught by some of the best..so listen to the vids,
they will aid you in Basic reloading...but first you need to break your rifle in and learn what it likes and not...then you can start reloading...take is slow and be patient...MSH and Zfk's dad helped me learn alot..There are some things that people will agree on and some they won't...but all in all...it is the Basic steps per the manual...with a few added things...just because I am OCD..or annal about things...LOL
Have fun this weekend...I envy you...I have to work and not time to hit the range... :(
Let us know how it preforms...Oh...see if you can move that lens cover to the rear of the scope...might look better...for the crowd that will gather when you start letting rounds fly.... ;) :laugh: :whistle: ...
BMS

11 years 10 months ago #11750

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!