Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Barrel question for MSH

• Thank you received: 8

Barrel question for MSH was created by Scaup58

I'd like to turn a barrel for my varmint upper build in .22 Middlestead. It looks like a fun lathe project. I would like to pick your brain though. I have the receiver end drawing that you posted a while ago. I also read your recommendation for gas port placement for 6-250 barrels. Would this be true for the Middlestead?
Barrel length will be 26". My plan is to locate the gas port so that it falls in a grove and not a land, then machine breach end so that extension is clocked properly to gas port and then ream to set head space. Does this make sense? Can you set / check headspace with bolt alone while barrel is still in lathe or does it need to be in the upper and bolt in the carrier? My last question is, assuming I want to shoot 75, 80 & 90 gr. bullets, what twist? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
15 years 1 month ago #1211

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Barrel question for MSH

Well your in the barrel burning business, sounds like fun. OK we need 19500 psi to opperate the action so thats where the gas port will be located. I would place the gas port plus 3 inches. It makes no difference where the gas port is located. I've had people argue the point but when I challange to prove it they can't. Check your headspace in the lathe. Strip the bolt ejector out. The no go should not start. Go will. Put a 45deg angle for aprox .050 at the chamber enterance. When you got all that done toqure the barrel extention on with the go guage and bolt in the barrel. When the bolt locks up thats "0". Back off a hair to free bolt position, plus .001 and your done. Now drill the gas port in 4 steps to .093. An 8 twist barrel would be about it and I won't do 90s at all, too many problems and not enough gain over the 80s. Any of the plastic tip bullets may not make it to the target on a warm day. I've lanched some at 4600fps and they boiled the lead out of the nose. Hope that helps.MSH
15 years 1 month ago #1212

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re:Barrel question for MSH

Hey, thanks for the quick response! Am I to understand that the barrel extension is shimmed when setting final head space? Or do you measure the amount backed off and then ream that much deeper? I'm very interested in using a Bartlein blank. They offer 4 & 5 grooves in .224, any preferences? Is there any reason more shooters aren't using the .22 Middlestead? It seems to me that it would be a better fit in the AR-10 than the .22-250, being based on the .308 parent and have more capacity to boot. Thanks again, your input will be invaluable on this project.
15 years 4 weeks ago #1215

Me again, I forgot to ask another unrelated question. My AR-10 is an Eagle Arms carbine with a stainless barrel and a pinned & welded muzzle brake. I read one of your posts where you said the pin could be drilled and the hole welded shut for re-use. I'd like to do exactly that so that I can free float the handguard. What alloy filler do you use? I have a TIG welder but only 347 filler at the moment. I have no issues with the brake other than it's in the way of front sight/gas block removal. Well, it IS loud, but works well so I want to keep it.
15 years 4 weeks ago #1217

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

There is no shim involved. The barrel extention and head space is a hand fit while in the lathe. Go by the guages and toqure to the feel on the bolt after the hand fit is done in the lathe. The fit is just like on the bolt action stuff. I use only Lilja 3 groove barrels. The 6-250 is the most sold barrel at my shop followed by the 308 and 260. The Middlestead is a barrel burner and most people that own these 10s have never seen a Middlestead. They are casual shooters that want the bigger AR and work with and the factory chamberings. The odd stuff don't come along until the competition shooters start using that platform. And I have to say the 300 WSM barrel that I set up is nice. It might be an idea for you to pratice on an old barrel to start with. It will help you with the pratice. MSH
15 years 4 weeks ago #1220

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

The muzzle breaks can be fixed fine with what you got. They polish out nice. Get some taps to chase the threads.
15 years 4 weeks ago #1222

Ya know, after I posted, I thought about your headspace description for a couple of hours and figured it out. I realize the Middlestead will be hard on the barrel, but honestly, it could take me 10 years to put 700 or 800 rounds through it. Also, I load for group size, not velocity. A .300 WSM or Rem SAUM is in the back of my mind for a third upper. Thanks again for your input, it's very helpfull.
15 years 4 weeks ago #1229

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!