Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Straight Jacket Barrel Shroud

• Thank you received: 57

Straight Jacket Barrel Shroud was created by JustMe

Here's an option to accurize your rifles. Anyone try one of these? www.gunsamerica.com/blog/extreme-accurac...tech-straightjacket/
11 years 3 months ago #16079

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Straight Jacket Barrel Shroud

The principle is sound, and been done before, used to be common on .22lr barrels just without the filler media. Using an outer sleeve to tension a lightweight barrel has in the past been shown to improve accuracy compared to an unaltered barrel, but will still not perform as well as a quality heavy barrel. I recall seeing a rifle from ages ago that had a plate behind the muzzle brake tied to a second bracket at the recoil lug area between the barrel and receiver. The rig looked a lot like a blank firing adapter for the M2 .50 cal mounted on a remy 700, and the shooter was expected to adjust the tension on the rods to tune the barrels harmonics. It actually worked quite well, but obviously never took off. Later on, the same concept was tried with a sleeve but the thin barrel and sealed dead air space did nothing for heat and the throat shot out fairly quick. It was after this that (I think it was volquartsen) picked up the idea for rimfire use where it works very well for light weight accuracy.

There is a follow up article on accurate shooter. There is some mention about the filler being more insulator than conductor but I can't comment on that.
bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/05/com...yne-tech-industries/
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 3 months ago #16084

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Straight Jacket Barrel Shroud

Interesting stuff. Dunno if I'd ever have the urge to put the money into it but certainly food for thought...

Thanks JM.
11 years 3 months ago #16093

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Straight Jacket Barrel Shroud

The theory seems to work, but its for the accuracy at any cost crowd albeit the price tag was not that high ($349 on the bolt Savage). But then does it add or subtract value in the long haul, only you can make that call....
11 years 3 months ago #16124

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!