Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL

• Thank you received: 3

CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL was created by sonogun

I have put 200 rounds of Black Hills Moly through my AR-10t. I did not clean the barrel because I was thinking the moly needed to build-up to become effective. I went out and shot 200 rounds of Federal and now I know I want to clean the barrel. My first question is will this remove all the moly coating? My second question is what is the proper was to brush the barrel. Armalite says do not reverse the direction of the brush while it is in the bore and everyone says entry to the bore should be from the breech end. I do not think stroking the bore in one direction is a good thing. Can you safely run the brush from the breech out the muzzle and pull it back into the muzzle towards the breech?
11 years 2 months ago #17101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by mantawolf on topic CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL

Breech to muzzle, don't reverse and don't pull it back through. You are just pulling crap into your breech end when you do. Remove the brush and pull the rod back out if you have to.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by mantawolf.
11 years 2 months ago #17102

Replied by sonogun on topic CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL

Ok. No entry from the muzzle. I use a bore guide when I clean to keep as much crud out of my breech as possible. Seems to work fairly well. Thanks for the input.
11 years 2 months ago #17103

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL

And let me add that by cleaning the bore, you will remove most of the moly build-up inside it, to answer your other question.
RLTW
11 years 2 months ago #17104

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL

FWIW: I just went thru this moly thing the other day with some highly respected builders this is what I came away with:

Moly: if you shoot it, stay with it, don't mix it, simple as that, however that said neither of them recommend moly and I am not going to try and repeat the why's of not using. But I do know this, Moly is a natural lube, but it draws moisture. Years ago it was the hot thing in motor oils...till they found out its water retention and corrosion properties. Same on a weapons, moly build up will suck moisture, that is a fact! It will corrode your barrel. You make the call...

Cleaning: Yes if you go muzzle to breach, then pull it back out you will leave residue in the breach area. Nothing new and even my daddy taught to to ALWAYS CLEAN THE BREACH LAST!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing wrong with reversing directions as long as you do NOT do it INSIDE the barrel. Just clean the breach LAST and inspect it well afterwards.

And

After every cleaning and inspection, you are satisfied its clean to your standard...wiped down well with a CLEAN lint free cloth with just a bit o your fav lube, just a bit and one last time from the muzzle, a clean patch down to the breach, remove patch, extract cleaning rod, FINAL inspection....also inspect your FINAL cleaning cloth and patch for ANY discoloration, dirt, metal bits, anything, it should look as good as it started.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 2 months ago #17109

Replied by sonogun on topic CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL

Cleaning the barrel seems to be a cornucopia of foods for thought where there are certain unanimous 'wrongs' and a bounty of 'rights'. Based on what you have found out with moly, I would have to shoot 600 rounds of moly to prepare my barrel for maximum accuracy just prior to competition or hunting, and then clean and oil barrel immediately after use to guard against moisture. The cost and time involved in using moly are prohibitive from a practical standpoint. Excellent information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 10before15
11 years 2 months ago #17112

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL

My :twocents:

I always clean the chamber before the bore...this way you don't have the excess cleaner running into the bore...but I also swab the chamber again after cleaning the bore...just to make sure...
As for the direction to clean..."what direction does the bullet travel" is what was taught to me...
As for the moly bullets..I was told the same thing about the moisture...so I never used them or shot them...
For what it is worth... :twocents:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 2 months ago #17113

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL

Heres some links on proper breakin abd cleaning. Good reading and may CHANGE SOME MINDS
www.ncowestbranch.com/documents/Barrel%20break%20in.pdf
www.ncowestbranch.com/documents/GUN%20CL...G%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
11 years 2 months ago #17121

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic CLEANING THE BORE ON A MATCH GRADE BARREL

I have read those before:

On the first one its a bit strange. About 1/2 of it is just saying NO to Moly, then suddenly he reverses himself and says to breaking with moly????

Which is it?

Bottom line is I can no one to support the moly concept. I remember when moly coated bullets came out, it was the end all be all, then the ugly head of corrosion appeared and it went out of favor faster than Paris Hilton wearing underwear. And in those days it was not jut guns, it was in motor oil, on drill bits and you could buy it in a paste to smear on your girlfriend back to keep from burning in the midday sun, but she was always slipping out of bed so that too fell from grace.

The next one is good if not great advice for some at least. More applicable to the shoot a mile for a Camel crowd than anything else. Again lets go back to my Daddy...1932, '03 Sprg, shoot expert on the 1 MILIE target and its worth $5 per month in pay, back in the day when a lot of folks worked for a dollar a day. Dad got his $5 every month and he would laugh at these silly procedures and tray full of trick chemicals to clean and lube with.

If you goal is to hit a 1 in 10 ring at a 1000 yards, follow, however that is TARGET shooting, all my targets are about the size of a pie plate and about 100-300 yds is about the max I need to pop...albeit from my deck on top the hill I live on a 1000 meters is realistic. Deer or man if I hit inside that pie plate it drops and never takes another step.

I had an old Ruger 10/22 steel model, put around 25,000 rds thru that barrel of 22LR. I do not remember of ever cleaning it with much more than some WD 40, then a lick and a wipe down the bore a couple of times. What did I shoot, snake, water mocs, you if you do not get a head shot, not likely to kill or even wound that snake. I gave it to a young kid and years later he was still shooting and loving it.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 2 months ago #17133

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!