Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Barrel Fluting and observation

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Ranchwagon on topic Barrel Fluting and observation

Having read the pro and cons for barrel fluting, it sounds to me, it ain't cheap to install a fluted barrel that will save weight and maintain accuracy. I can understand where the price is worth it with the exception of hunting.

I used to reload and shoot a lot but with bolt action hunting type rifles and had several that I could shoot 100 yard groups with all 5 rounds touching a quarter sized dot. Some were custom built and some were not. Less optics, I doubt if I had any more than a $1000 in anyone of them.

I guess I'm just an old tightwad, but for hunting, I'll stick to the old bolt actions. But for fun and defense, I love my AR's, both in 5.56 and 7.62.
9 years 10 months ago #38675

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Barrel Fluting and observation

Fluting done right, as part of the manuf process is inexpensive, usually adds about $125 to the price and has aids in weight loss and cooling. You will find some of the most accurate guns int he world are fluted, high end sniper rifles etc...
9 years 10 months ago #38676

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Barrel Fluting and observation

:hijacked:
OK, this may be a bit off of topic, but, How about those triangulated shaped barrels ???
Are they actually more rigid than a round barrel, or, even more rigid than a fluted barrel ???
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
9 years 10 months ago #38677

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Barrel Fluting and observation

:I-agree:
I have always had a compact with the animals I hunt: Aside from vermin and pests, I will always make use of their meat, and never kill them just to kill them. Also, I will always try to make their demise as painless as possible, that means doing everything possible to make sure they die after the first shot. As fine a rifle as my AR10's are, I am afraid that temptation of having a readily used second or third round might be too much temptation. Now if it was feral pigs I was hunting, that would be different. They are man made pests that do serious damage, and to be able to take out two or three at a time would be useful. But with deer, bear, etc., I have never yet needed a second shot, except to dispatch someone else's mistake, to take them out of their suffering. For that reason, I will continue to use my trusty 30-06 bolt action for game, and save my AR10's for fun and self protection.
9 years 10 months ago #38678

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Barrel Fluting and observation

A book, "Alaskas Wolf Man" or maybe it is "Wolf Man of Alaska" but I think it is the first, The book was wrote about a meat hunter that had gone to Alaska to mine for gold, did`nt do to well so a logging or mining outfit hired Him to fetch in meat.
Later He bacame a government trapper.
He had a 30-06, and, He mentions His 30-06 several times in the book, and, that is all the rifle He needed for any and all of the critters in Alaska, a very worthy read if anyone does any reading.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
9 years 10 months ago #38680

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Ranchwagon on topic Barrel Fluting and observation

Probably right but, I would rather have my .416 Taylor handy for those big brown bears. And maybe the AR-10 as a back-up, just in case.
9 years 10 months ago #38684

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Barrel Fluting and observation

If you want to really understand fluting, read this:

www.snipercountry.com/articles/realbenefitsbarrelfluting.asp

Bottom line:

Fluted bbls run cooler

Fluted bbls for the SAME diameter as non fluted are LESS rigid, however if the value = weight then the fluted bbl is MORE rigid than the non fluted

Fluted bbls wegh less than non fluted for the same given diameter
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, Ranchwagon
9 years 10 months ago #38694

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!