Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Magnets

• Thank you received: 85

Magnets was created by Dabu

So I'm doing a little science project and wondering if magnetizing a barrel would affect bullet trajectory or not.

Lead isn't magnetic, however I've been told that lead is considered to be dia-magnetic material because it generates a magnetic field in opposition of an externally applied magnetic source.

And I wonder what would happen to a iron core bullet that goes though a magnetized barrel.

Does anyone know if the typical optics like scopes, aimpoints, acogs and eotechs susceptible to magnetic fields?

I respectfully request your un-sugarcoated opinions, thoughts and ideas. thanks :lol:
10 years 8 months ago #27961

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Magnets

If you want to really experiment then lead is not your best choice of materials, Lead is less than 1 (with a vacuum being 1 (which is non-magnetic) in relative permeability. Lead sets between water and copper @ 0.999983.

Iron, now you are talking @ 5,000, but its also in a different class called Ferromagnetic. Now purity, density and even grain size will affect the permeability factor. You will need some sensitive instrumentation to detect differences. Also permeability for ferromagnetic materials can be nonlinear and you are wanting to conduct linear testing.

Let us know how it goes and your test methodology...
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by OleCowboy.
10 years 8 months ago #27964

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Magnets

Dabu study Lenz's law and eddy currents before you go any further. My guess is that with a strong enough magnetic field and a copper solid bullet you my actually induce a very strong eddy current and slow the bullet down. Just a guess though. Also look up rail gun design, some interesting reading and some of the science my apply. Have fun brother you may stumble into the unknown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dabu
10 years 8 months ago #27969

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Magnets

This is how mankind has prospered, go get'em! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 8 months ago #27973

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Magnets

If the barrel is magnetic and you shoot a copper solid projectile down it ... would you not induce a current in the bullet? You might create a lightning gun ;)

:rotfl:
10 years 8 months ago #27976

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Magnets

I've got a few Barnes copper bullets in .308 laying around I'd be willing to donate to your project, PM me, I'll be home over the weekend and could package them then. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 8 months ago #27979

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Magnets

bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang

Damn dude, what are you shooting at?

Nothing, just charging my phone.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 8 months ago #27984

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic Magnets

So eddy currents slow down magnets passing by a non magnetic metal.

So would eddy currents slow down non-magnetic metals passing by a magnet? :huh:
10 years 8 months ago #27993

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Magnets

Heres a use for a slow bullet , how about subsonic ammo at the flick of a switch.
10 years 8 months ago #28005

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!