Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR10 barrel blueprint

• Thank you received: 0

AR10 barrel blueprint was created by nezrongero

Part of my retirement present I bought a Bridgeport and lathe with plans to do my own barrels from blanks. It has been a journey to say the least in learning how to properly operate these machines.

My immediate plan is to turn one of my shot out bench rest barrel into a 16 inch AR10 308 upper. I've searched the web looking for barrel dimensions/blueprints to no avail. Do you guys have any prints I could acquire for a fee. I got the barrel extension, bolt, and flash hider and have taken measurements relative to chambering, it would be a bog plus if I were to locate prints for this project.

Thank you.
9 years 1 week ago #44674

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by GGaskill on topic AR10 barrel blueprint

You're looking for the dimensions for an original AR10 barrel or what? What length gas tube do you have?
9 years 1 week ago #44694

Replied by nezrongero on topic AR10 barrel blueprint

Thank you.

I am looking for any AR10 prints or DPMS. Initially project is for a 16 1/2 inch barrel and next would be a service rifle 20 inch barrel suitable for long range competition.
9 years 1 week ago #44698

I cannot help with the 16 1/2" barrel if you are looking to copy some existing model. For match shooting, take a look at my post in the American Spirit Arms thread. That one has a 31" Kreiger barrel and has done well at 600 yards although I have not yet tried it to 1000 yards. I consider a 20" barrel to be marginal for a match rifle for long range, especially if you are using iron sights. I can give you dimensions for that barrel if you like. But I see no reason you couldn't do a 16 1/2 incher by just cutting that one off at that length.
9 years 1 week ago #44700

Yes, I will take any information you can give. Thank you, appreciate it. Unfortunately, for service rifle competition the barrel limit is 20 inches and iron sights, I've shot the lowly AR15 and 80 Bergers at 1000 yards as well as the M1 Garand and M1a, and the rifles did fine. Now, want to give the AR10 variety a try.

The 16 1/2 is for a pig gun that does double duty as a truck when we venture down the TexMex border.
9 years 1 week ago #44704

Whose rules show an AR10 as a Service Rifle? I am guessing you plan to fit in the NRA rules as an M-110 series rifle:

"U.S. Rifle, Caliber 7.62 mm M-110 series–– In all courses of fire and in all positions the standard 20-round box magazine or a reduced capacity magazine of the same external dimensions will be attached. The flash suppressor may be removed or the rifle may be manufactured without a flash suppressor. Barrel length may not exceed 20 inches, as measured to the end of the riflling (sic) in the barrel. The front sling must be attached to the end of the handguard, and must remain in the 6 o’clock position no more than 1/2 inche (sic) from its original location. The sights must be of the standard design found on the M-16 series of firearms. Rear sight windage and elevation adjustments may be modified to allow finer adjustments. Plastic covers may be used on the mounting rails on the handguard."

It's not clear what barrel profiles will be allowed. Pix of the M-110 I have seen show different profiles including a suppressed one, so you might be able to claim that a suppressor diameter barrel mimics the suppressed profile. What do you plan to use for a front sight?

I would request a ruling from the NRA regarding what profiles are permitted before putting more money than a stamp into the project. If you have CAD software, I can send you a .dwg or .dxf file with my barrel profile. If not, I can convert the drawing into a .gif and post that.

For the pig gun, do you carry or hunt from a vehicle?
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by GGaskill.
9 years 1 week ago #44714

That is correct, the NRA long range M110 series rifle. The profile under the handguard is whatever can fit just like the AR15, but clear either what the barrel profile would be and what size gas block could be used. I will research that part.

I do not have any cad software, if you can save it in pdf that would be great. I am hoping that you have the detailed dimensions of the tenon area.

We carry weapons wherever we down to the border. The AR10 shorty would be nice to have in the truck.

Thank you.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by nezrongero.
9 years 1 week ago #44716

The best drawing in my possession (I am out of town for another six days) does not show the thread pitch for the barrel extension but you should be able to get that from the extensions you intend to use. You need to determine what you are going to use for the front sight/gas block. The AR15 version is really too small for a big rifle and I don't know if you can find original AR-10 front sights. The length and diameter of the block seat will depend on what you use.

Iron sights for the pig gun or scope? If scope, I can include a drawing for a gas block.

www.gunneyg.info/images/AR10Barrel2.gif

OK, the lines for the front end of the barrel are missing but just whack off the .990 dimension lines at the 16.5 marker.
9 years 1 week ago #44732

Thank you!!!

That image came through fine, that is very helpful.

The pig gun will have a scope, a 2.5x10x32, a nice little compact that has enough magnification range, threaded 5/8x24 for a Surefire brake/suppressor adapter. Great thing to be in TX, suppressors are legal for hunting game and non game. Will probably have to play with adjustable gas block.
9 years 1 week ago #44733

Don't take my dimensions as unalterable Gospel; check them against the parts you are actually going to use to be sure of proper fit before cutting. That area for the gas block will need to be customized for the block/front sight you actually use.

Custom gas block for rifles not needing an AR-type front sight .
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by GGaskill.
9 years 1 week ago #44737

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!