Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Question for MSH - muzzle brake erosion

• Thank you received: 8

Question for MSH - muzzle brake erosion was created by Scaup58

This is a pic of the brake from my AR10 carbine. After about 300 rounds there was no visible wear at the edge of the port - bore junction, they still had the burr left from the milling of the ports. Most of these were handloads using IMR-4895, H-335, BL(C)-2, and Vit N540. Yesterday after about 20 rounds of Reloader-15 powered loads there is definitely a lot of erosion on these edges. These were not fired rapidly, this was load development so about 30 - 40 seconds between shots. I've read on 6mmbr.comm that some other guys have complained that RL-15 was dirty, leaving hard carbon just down from the throat. My barrel seamed harder to get clean and in fact I'm not sure I did get it clean. Using Butch's I got lots of grey-brown gunk, none of the usual blue from copper. What has been your experience with this powder? RL-15 & Vit have been the most accurate powders in this rifle so far with RL-15 giving the best velocity at OCW loadings. Vit is about 50% more money than RL-15. Your thoughts?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Mark
14 years 5 months ago #2340

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Question for MSH - muzzle brake erosion

The boys on 6BR are right about R15 being dirty powder. But it is the heavy bullet powder of choice if you want to win with the 223. The erosion on the brake is typical on non heat treated steels so not a problem. You are going to get that anyway. Powder expands 19 to 21000% on the stuff we use and R-15 aint the powder for the 308. Don't need to be a speed freek for 50fps extra with the R15. R15 has a wide spread on SBR 10s. Remember the car version is on the highest pressure point at bullet exit so your going to see this with soft steel brake. The brake will last 20 barrels. Varget is very clean and is a better choice on most 308 applications. What you have described seems normal. I use only Montana Extreme to clean with and only patches and jag. The Montana has no water in it to dilute the ammonia and is bore safe. They were my shooting sponsor before Dan sold them to Western Powder company. Always shoot for group the speed aint any good if you dont hit the target.
14 years 5 months ago #2341

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Hope this works. This a group from Marks 243 with the extended gas syetem at 400 yds.
14 years 4 months ago #2387

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

14 years 4 months ago #2388

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!