Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Settled on twist but now more ?????

• Thank you received: 0

Settled on twist but now more ????? was created by Policeman

Originally I was looking for something in the SPR 18" catagory then it was 21" for longer distance.

NOW I want something to stay supersonic at 1000 yds with the 175 gr ammo. Is it possible with a gas gun? 24", 26"? I am thinking of shooting F-Class which can be 600 yds & 1000 yd in same weekend. I am not expecting to actually out shoot bolt race guns but I want to be respectibly accurate with the AR-10 platform.

Suggestions, comments, are welcome as this is not an overnight project.

Thanks,

Po-Po
15 years 4 months ago #825

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by lotoofla on topic Re:Settled on twist but now more ?????

ArmaLites web site shows their new National Match rifle with a 20" barrel and a 1x10" twist. The finer points is that it is for the 168-190/gr bullets. A jump to Springfield Armorys web sight an the have their National Match rifle with a 1x10 twist as well. You'll have to realy push the load to be able to keep the 175gr Sierra MK at 1,000yds with a 18" tube. Keep your pressures down, and use a 20+" barrel.
Tom
13 years 9 months ago #4652

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Settled on twist but now more ?????

PO PO I coached one of my NCOs to a 2nd at the sniper shoot with an 18" DPMS SASS that has a 9" gas tube. Lost nothing to wind lost 2 to elevation. Range to 1050yds, conditions will be your worst enemy. Its all in the QC on the barrel. The custom barrels that we put on these frames are holding in the 7" range at 1000 with the avg wind reading skills of the shooters. There is a lot that needs to be done to the upper and lower receivers to get this such as squireing the upper ,shimming the end play and glass bedding the receivers. Receiver strech by laying on the rifle the wrong way will be a big problem for you until you figure that out. We are putting 32" barrels on them on a regular bases with a delay cycle manifold. A 24"
barrel is the min but 26" plus will more ideal for your quest.MSH
13 years 9 months ago #4653

Replied by GONIF on topic Re:Settled on twist but now more ?????

no it is not going to happen with 21 inch barrel and 175 grain load .
a 155 grain load that can get 2900 at the barrel should do it .
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by GONIF.
13 years 9 months ago #4669

Replied by 6-Sigma on topic Re: Settled on twist but now more ?????

I just spent two weeks trying to figure out what barrel length I really wanted. Last year I barreled a friends 700 with a 28" 1:10 / .298 bore, shooting 700yds to 1K+ became fun. I am barreling an Ar-10 to 26" with the same 1:10 / .298 barrel as we speek.

What did you end up with?
12 years 3 months ago #10093

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!