Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Bushmaster BR-308 gas block

• Thank you received: 0

Bushmaster BR-308 gas block was created by oilfielder71

Does anyone know the correct procedure to remove the gas block off the new bushmaster BR-308, or know of a link that explains it?? I've read several posts that talk about how complicated it is, and that it requires speciality tools.

I'm replacing my factory plastic handguards. Even if you get aftermarket handguards that fit over the factory gas block after removing the sling swivel mount what about the triangular handguard cap?

Any input or advice would be appreciated.
11 years 3 months ago #15291

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Bushmaster BR-308 gas block

Since I don't have any experience with that rifle OF, I've been searching youtube and all I've found is one guy that had to mill down is gas block a bit to make free float handguards fit which would probably make it easier for you to find sights that would fit and you wouldn't really have to mess with the gas block much.

As far as actually removing the gas block, why would you want to even mess with it unless you had explored all other options first? Do you feel it needs to come off to solve a function problem or is it still the "sights" issue?

11 years 3 months ago #15292

Replied by oilfielder71 on topic Bushmaster BR-308 gas block

I didn't want to remove it. My rifle functions perfectly. I just didn't see a way to remove the hanguard cup.

Thank you for your responses. I'm new to AR's but have been shooting and doing minor repairs since I was a kid.

I work in fabrication and have most of the punches and taper pins that are used in removal of the gas blocks that are mounted with them.
11 years 3 months ago #15295

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Bushmaster BR-308 gas block

I wish I could be more help to you bud but it sounds like you already know far more about your rifle than I ever will. Guess we'll have to wait and see if one of our other members has some experience with this specific operation.

Let's let it sit for a bit and see if we get any bites.

Have you checked with Bushmaster to see if they have any helpful links or anything? You might try calling them...
11 years 3 months ago #15296

I haven't found any links but I'll try calling them.

Thanks again Sharkey
11 years 3 months ago #15299

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Bushmaster BR-308 gas block

In order to remove the gas block:

First, remove the flashhider/comp/brake. Most have flat points that allow you to use a wrench. If it's on very tight or thread locker has been used, use a heat gun to heat the area up. I also recommend using a rag to cover the device so you don't mar the finish of the muzzle device. Once the device is off, remove the crush washer behind it.

Use a china marker to place witness marks on the gas block and barrel, to mark where the block lines up with the gas port below it. (I also recommend doing this with the muzzle device so you can get the timing right when you re-install it.)

Use a punch to drive out the taper pins holding the GB in place. Slide the GB off.

Remove the handguard cap and replace it with a washer of identical thickness and the same OD of the barrel. (Call Bushmaster for one. They should have some on hand, if not try Brownells.)

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. Use a fresh set of taper pins for the GB and a fresh crush washer for the muzzle device.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by LebbenB.
11 years 3 months ago #15300

Thank you

Would a concave punch help get the taper pins out? Both sides of them are mushroomed.
11 years 3 months ago #15302

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Bushmaster BR-308 gas block

Wouldn't hurt to give it a try. I recommend using brass punches to prent scarring the surface of the block.

Are you installing a free-float sleeve?
RLTW
11 years 3 months ago #15306

Yes a TRoy TRX .308 Extreme DPMS Battlerail. I don't want to overload my AR with Accessories but I would like to have a forend pistol grip.
11 years 3 months ago #15311

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!