Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Ottis Cleaning Kit

• Thank you received: 21

Ottis Cleaning Kit was created by Moby

I just received the Ottis Cleaning Kit for my weapons cleaning needs.
So far I'm impressed with the tools in it. Haven't used them yet but I really like the field kit that somes with it. Breaking in my new AR10 will be a snap with it. It hase all barrel sizes and I won't use many of them but I like buying a complete kit with nothing else needed.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

11 years 10 months ago #11747

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by WES213 on topic Re: Ottis Cleaning Kit

Must admit that Otis makes some damn fine kits, all i got is the field kit and a tooth brush and have needed no other parts to keep my entire gun collection clean.
We go to war to fight terrorism and Communism then vote for a terrifying communist to lead us God help us all.
11 years 10 months ago #11749

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Hebs on topic Re: Ottis Cleaning Kit

I have the big kit as well. I use it mostly for my pistols. Just feel like I can clean the rifles faster and better with a set of Dewey rods.
11 years 10 months ago #11786

Replied by Moby on topic Re: Ottis Cleaning Kit

That's interesting. I had a problem getting the flexible cable though my .38 snub nose and had to use a rod from the muzzle end.
I'm told that runing patches and brushes from the breach to the muzzle is best for cleaning rifles. I've a new AR 10 that hasn't had a single shot though it and I? haven't been able to get to the range once yet. Very frustrating.
11 years 10 months ago #11787

It's better for a number of reasons. Keeping the cleaning solution out of the action and chamber probably being the number one for me. I also use bore guides for all of my rifles when cleaning them.
11 years 10 months ago #11791

Replied by Moby on topic Re: Ottis Cleaning Kit

You wouldn't have a picture of a bore guild would ya sir?
I've not seen one.
11 years 10 months ago #11792

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Ottis Cleaning Kit

www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=guide%20...arch=guide%20ar%2010
Brownells has a couple specific for AR's. I bought an adjustable type by Tipton and it seems to work fine. I only use it when I'm messing with the nasty decoppering and leading compounds. I don't worry about the basic cleaners and lubes so I switch back to the Otis system for the rest of my cleaning. My entire weapon ends up with a thin wipe down with a recommended CLP anyway so I don't care if some runs away.
I remember using Prell in the shower on my M-60, we did everything together! The Armorer didn't care for it but what could he do, it got turned in in better shape than 90% of what he saw. I haven't tried this with my AR-10 yet....
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 10 months ago #11793

I did buy that aluminum one for the AR 15's since I've heard too many stories about the plastic ones having their tip break off in the chamber because of how thin they had to make it. I have plastic for my .30 cal rifles because they can go thicker, but for the .22 cal I went with the more expensive aluminum because I wanted it to last a life time. To each their own on how they clean their weapons... The Otis works well for somethings (pistols for me), but I'll always try to use cleaning rods when cleaning my rifles. They're just so much faster. I can clean my Rem 700 in about 15 to 20 min. (with some lulls in there to let the solvent soak a bit.) It would take twice as long with my Otis kit.
11 years 9 months ago #11833

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!