Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

how much oil

• Thank you received: 67

how much oil was created by foxhunter

So I was watching tac tv the other night and to make the point that too much oil is a myth, they dropped a 9 mm pistol and an ar15 into a vat of cooking oil, then fired them.
So, from that should I take it that more is better? Up to now,when cleaning, my last step before reassembly has been to wipe the barrel and moving parts with a patch, sprayed to dampness with oil. Should I be oiling them more? I have occasionally had feeding issues with the ar 10 T, which has tighter tolerances than my other AR's, so maybe not enough oil is why.
10 years 11 months ago #23062

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic how much oil

I would not say they are making the claim that "more is better"
They are simply stating that you really can not over lube a weapon. If you do, it will be a bit messy, as with an AR, a lot of the excess lube will de displaced onto the shooter, glasses are always a must!

One question would be WHAT oil are you using?
For the bolt, I place a few drops on it and spread it with my finger, wet but not dripping. For the carrier, I do the same. Once assembled, I place a drop in on the bolt at the cam pin.

I have had great luck with Slip 2000 EWL and a home brew oil. I got it from an old AMU shooter.

Gun lube
2 parts Mobil 1......................substituted for "non detergent oil"
1 part Synthetic part ATF.......substituted for "type F"
1/2 part Kroil.........................substituted for Ballistol
1/2 part Marvel Mystery Oil
1/4 part STP
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libitinari
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by faawrenchbndr.
10 years 11 months ago #23064

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic how much oil

I run mine very wet, but try to keep it from being too wasteful or messy. Lube between shootings is light, just enough to keep it protected but once I get to the range I spray down the BCG pretty good.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 11 months ago #23065

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic how much oil

Same as Colt, I store the rifle with just a light coat but always give it a generous squirt or two before shooting. I will also use a coat light of grease on the BCG, seems to make cleaning easier. So far the rifle has performed flawless, I'm somewhere between 800 and a 1,000 on the round count with only ammo costs slowing it down.
I watched the same show, I think they were just making the point that lube will not harm the weapon. They do lots of fun looking stuff on the show but that is one bit I'd pass on, unless maybe it was an M-60.......
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 11 months ago #23066

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic how much oil

Or an old AK,......dump in the used engine oil!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 10-76
10 years 11 months ago #23067

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic how much oil

I soak my weapons when they're in storage. I get them so they don't drip before I shoot them.
10 years 11 months ago #23072

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic how much oil

For storage, a lite coat of oil. Prior to going to the range, moving parts get a heavy coat.
RLTW
10 years 11 months ago #23079

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic how much oil

This is an old argument that I have seen so many times. For the final answer let me call upon my engineering background for guidance. But before I do allow me to address your first post:
"they dropped a 9 mm pistol and an ar15 into a vat of cooking oil, then fired them."

And what does this tell us? That you can put a 9mm pistol and an AR 15 in a bucket of cooking oil and fire them which really says nothing. How about someone try try this, next time you get a bad case of diarrhea take your 9mm and AR dumb them the honey bucket and see if they don't fire as well as they did on cooking oil and the end result is just about as useful.

The answer is: 3F or Form Follows Function!

Try this, dump you AR into a bucket of the world best lube, now dump into your kids sandbox, tell me how it works...you got it, its caked with sand. So if the criteria is how do I lube my weapon to fire under a sand dune you may not want to dumb it in a bucket of cooking oil...in fact your best choice may be the lube so commonly found on sand bars...Crane chit :rolleyes:

Or, you may want to dump your AR into the proverbial bucket of cooking oil and then jump into an Arctic location and see how well it functions.

The question really is what do you intend to do with it? Heading out to the range on a dry 70 F day is one thing, Arctic temps and sand bars another...

Allow me to ask you the tester one more question. In your Arctic testing, sandbar test and range test did you at anytime dress yourself for the test conditions?
10 years 11 months ago #23091

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic how much oil

"Frog Lube": I can say that was a HOT topic on several forums I was on and was all but called Holy Water...but I could not find them at the NRA show?????????????

I did find this: randbrands.com/products/rand-clp

"RAND CLP is the best eco-friendly All-In-One: Cleaner, Lubricant and Protectant. RAND CLP enhances firearm performance and reliability using a rare vegetable oil base and a proprietary blend of nanoparticles to create a uniquely smooth and durable surface. RAND CLP is non toxic, odorless, safe on all metals, polymers and woods and provides faster & easier cleaning after the initial pretreatment.

RAND CLP was created by a police firearms instructor (also Special Forces Army Vet) along with top scientists around the world. It was specifically designed to deal with the everyday needs of serious and recreational firearm owners. RAND CLP helps with:

• Carbon build-up/fouling removal
• Rust prevention
• Jamming/malfunctions
• Water displacement
• Dirt, lint, dust - does not attach to the metal
• More functional, accurate, durable firearm
• Smoother slide, action and trigger pull"

I have had a chance to look at it, talk to the folks and do some research and it appears to be the real deal. I have some and will try it, if it does not I will post such...
10 years 11 months ago #23092

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!