Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Dewey AR-15 Chamber Cleaning Kit Review

• Thank you received: 556

Dewey AR-15 Chamber Cleaning Kit Review was created by jtallen83

I was hoping to this kit would help me clean the lug recesses on my new "little" AR but it appears to be a waste of funds. I already had everything in the kit covered except the cotton swab holder and Derlin sleeve. The other tools work as they should with the guide sleeve being a nice touch. The swab holder and swabs are a total fail, they don't reach anything my fingers and a patch can't get to. The swab holder will not go into the recess area any further than the picture shows so there is no cleaning the bearing portion of the lugs or in between the lugs with it, the main reason I bought it. I'm hoping it will fit my AR-10 better so it won't be a total waste otherwise I would have been better off spending the $25 on ammo.
Back to using brushes, scrapers, and Q-tips for my little AR. :usa:

LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 10-76, MarkM
10 years 4 months ago #32565

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Dewey AR-15 Chamber Cleaning Kit Review

I generally use a foaming bore cleaner.
Then brush for bore and chamber.
Then I "rinse" the chamber and bore with RemOil......it's one and only purpose.
I let it drip dry, then follow up with compressed air, finally patches through the bore.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 4 months ago #32566

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Dewey AR-15 Chamber Cleaning Kit Review

That is pretty close to my normal procedure when I'm at home, scrapers or picks when I get a healthy buildup and Q-tips because I'm anal like that.
The hotels I spend most of my time in are a little funny about bore cleaner and oil running all over so I was hoping for a "cleaner" cleaning method. Hopefully this review will save the next guy a few bucks. I'll just have to start doing my cleaning at the ranges when I can, very few that I've used have any sort of cleaning station though.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 4 months ago #32567

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Dewey AR-15 Chamber Cleaning Kit Review

Most kits for the bolt group and chamber rely more on elbow grease than anything else and most are way to costly.

Lets solve the problem: I am out now but will try to get some the next time I get over there.

Go to your nearest restaurant supply house and find a can of carbon cleaner for grills and stoves. I do not know what it is, but it works. A little will do, let it set/soak and in most cases just wipe off. In fact I have found that is just runs down the upper. Be sure to put down some towels or put it in a pie plate. It does not foam or do anything else other than clean high temp baked on carbon off pots, pans, grills and stoves in a restaurant that has to pass cleanliness inspections.
10 years 4 months ago #32569

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Dewey AR-15 Chamber Cleaning Kit Review

The Breakfree foaming bore cleaner does that, as well as removing copper
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 4 months ago #32570

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!