Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

disassembly and cleaning the AR10t

• Thank you received: 67

disassembly and cleaning the AR10t was created by foxhunter

okay, I'm a little embarrassed to ask this, but I just got my AR 10t and am following the instructions for its first disassembly and cleaning before shooting it for the first time. The instruction manual shows everything clearly, except that for removing the handguard, the instructions are for the 2 piece AR 15, and says nothing about how to remove the one piece hand guard from the AR10t. I assume this is still a necessary for complete cleaning. Help, please.
15 years 6 months ago #382

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:disassembly and cleaning the AR10t

No, not at all. Just clean the bore and chamber and break down the bolt from the bolt carrier and take the extractor off for a good starter cleaning. After you reassemble your bolt carrier group (BCG), be sure to lube it very heavily before your first shooting session. Actually, its probably best to use a gun grease product from my understanding, at least for the locking lugs. Most people I know say to run it "wet" for the breakin procedure, perhaps up to the first 500 rounds even.
15 years 6 months ago #386

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:disassembly and cleaning the AR10t

thanks. I will follow your advice. This break in procedure is a pain.
15 years 6 months ago #387

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:disassembly and cleaning the AR10t

Absolutely do not be embarassed to ask. Far better than having an embarassing or dangerous incident!

I think AZMM's comment covered the bill. I wanted to mention I agree that Armalite's procedure manuals, while good, could be improved. In covering several platforms in a single manual, sometimes they don't clearly cover all the peculiarities of one rifle or another.

Personally I'd favor a distinct manual specific to each rifle, but that does become a lot of paper to update as changes come along. They also tend to assume a reader relatively familiar with the AR platforms, which is why no one should feel uncomfortable asking for clarification.

Forums like this are a good spot for details, but don't be afriad to call Armalite either, they've been pretty good to me when I had odd questions. It's one of the reasons I chose their platforms, customer support.
15 years 6 months ago #388

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!