Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Scrambled Forum

• Thank you received: 529

Scrambled Forum was created by OleCowboy

Been trying to get on most of the day and never could get thru coming thru this thread: [ www.ar10t.com/forums/tales-from-the-tall...egimental-ball/20843 ] And what I am being told is "too many redirects". What this probably means thread or subform has too many fotos, external links etc etc.

But I got other ways. So I get in and find the "Recent Topics" thread shows the last post for ever Topic as all over 2 days ago. Something is not updating correctly as doing a search I find many threads have posts less than 15 min old. I have not used Kunena my exp is only with v Bulletin, which handles thing much different. Its a very good app for forums. I have a legit (meaning registered to me) copy that is inactive as its not being used as a forum. Its v 3.8.x which works fine. If you want it I will give it to you if you can import this data.
Last edit: 11 years 4 weeks ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 4 weeks ago #20873

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Scrambled Forum

I get that too:

Maybe it's a munged URL. This works fine www.ar10t.com/forums/tales-from-the-tall...-the-regimental-ball

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 4 weeks ago #20874

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Scrambled Forum

I think is the an issue with cookies being enabled in your browser:

It also explains why a thread says it has not been updated in a long time but they have been.

I'm running vBulletin on Lotzoutdoors.com and it is a good system but there are too many spam bots which have defeated their security features.
11 years 4 weeks ago #20887

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Scrambled Forum

Its not on my side I am pretty sure. I run 4 browsers, Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera and when I encounter a issue and go to other browsers to see if it duplicates. This has happened before on AR10T, so its a sporadic thing that seems to come and go. Its a weakness in forum apps that that keep everything external on other sites like fotos. Most fotos are posted to a 'fotobucket' somewhere and if its having issues so are you if someone tries to access that thread. If the fotos have been removed then generally you just get a '?' but the forum app thinks its still there.

vB is my choice, but it takes a LOT of time and cycles to understand it, full of tricks to keep the bad guys out, I never had any issues but I knew how to do stuff. I dialogued with the guys up there about the user interface and some of the issues on the backside layout and access.

I run my browsers in developer mode and see a things most folks don't, my best guess, there are 'holes' in Kunena due to all the external calls its making,
11 years 4 weeks ago #20908

The redirects that it is having trouble with are the 403 redirects that create clean looking URLs from the typical urls that the forum uses.

Kunena is an add-on for Joomla and I use a url rewrite modification called ACE SEF.

It's bizzare that it's only happening so infrequently and for only a few people.

When it happens are you clicking a link in your email to enter the site or is it happening while you are already on the site?

The root cause might be that the post was moved/deleted/renamed which changed the URL.
11 years 4 weeks ago #20921

I was coming at it from an e mail and it was a good link and I was able to hit it later on, maybe 30 min or so, its not often, only happened say twice, maybe 3x over a period of time stretching out over months. I can hit a different link and it will take me to that thread or just go in from my tab 'AR10' on my browser. I would not blame it on that specific thread. My think is there could be a 'pic?' that is on more than one thread. Seems like I have seen this before several years back on another forum I was on, I would swear the guy was using Joomia???? Maybe, I am on several forums off and on and its quite complex and lucky to hit all cyl firing in the same sequence all the the time. Electrons get confused, caches get way overloaded even on servers...every single thing that takes place on a computer leaves a trail and I remember well the old days when that all had to be purged manually. In fact when I worked on the help desk I found that was the single most common issues when things started getting iffy: SOP was reboot, clean caches, reboot again see if it works...I would say 80% of the time that solved the issues...I can tell you some stories of the days it was almost all done via command line, glad those days are gone and glad I am retired.

I led the development of one of InformationWeek’s All Time Top 5 Websites, (May 2000). We launched on day 1 with over 12 million users, it was a retail site with 1000's if items listed, still up today, but I would doubt its the same code, its big, does a global business in the $100 M +.

I will let you guys sort it out, retired when I sold my company and never looked back...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii
11 years 4 weeks ago #20942

Thanks for the additional info. This is definitely caused by me. Every so often if I make a change I have to delete the url database. The url database automatically rebuilds as the site is browsed by clicking links but if you come directly to the site from an email the url entry is not yet in the database.here.

I'll try to not do that as much.

I may have to try and recruit you out of retirement. I'm working on an e-commerce site of outdoor gear that will have over 10k items. The biggest difference between what is already out there and this new site is it is vbulletin based and every item has a forum topic. So you can go back and forth seamlessly between the forum and the store.
11 years 4 weeks ago #20952

Well that is an interesting concept. Gonna take a lot of horsepower to move that train and you will have to build an interface between vB and your merch database....difficult, yes, impossible NO!

Well I just read where DoD could not integrate the military healthcare system with the VA system. It took them spending $1 BILLION of tax payers money to admit defeat. Its barely made the news, but not the first time I have seen a DoD project killed off after spending over $1B on it and giving up.

On the military-Acitve integration with the Reserves and Guard units and my guess it on the VA-military my guess is the failures came from failing to understand how to integrate disparate data, databases and hardware. Few folks do and most try to integrate by standardizing on HW, then SW and at that point in time so much money has been spent the project fails. I found in my career both inside the military and in corp America few folks in IT or otherwise understand integration, now add to that the typical Project Mgr whose desire to show progress is by buying equipment and storing it in warehouses and you are cooking towards failure. I noted over my career that most PM's left big projects in about the 3rd year as the reality of failure is starting to set in and the leadership of the org was growing tired of hearing a status report that you had taken another delivery of hardware.

I saw one project killed off and left $500 MILLION worth of hardware in warehouses across the US. To make it worse (and this is almost always the case) the hw had little residual value due to its age of 3-5 years old and it being based upon a chip set then so out of date it would not run the current version of the OS it was originally built for. I was called in to see if I could save the project, took one look at it and told them all the money they had spent up to that time was no longer of any value and I would have to start at square 1 in order to move forward. They killed the project, can't blame them.

So why can I build successful integrated system? Easy (in fact it is) because I understand horses, mules, dogs and porpoises and that was the key to integrating systems...
11 years 3 weeks ago #20974

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!