Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

?? a section on technique...??

• Thank you received: 62

?? a section on technique...?? was created by magi

i was looking for a section on shooting technique..... didnt see one....
i have a feeling some of you guys are really good at what you do.... it would be nice to have a place where these could be discussed.....

i want some advice on how i should approach becoming proficient long range shooter..... im just starting here on this....
With my S SASS should should i work out with cold shot groups.... is it best to wait a couple of minutes between shots.?? so far im trying to become more familiar with it.... im working with three shot groups and trying to achieve some consistency..... ive been told i have good ammo.... 168 & 175 GMM BTHP..... and i have enough to last a little while.......

while ive not maybe ever been masterful at what i do... i tend to become very good at the things i decided on.... its all just study work practice and a good mental attitude.... while getting a 10 is hard... i can get fron 7 to 9... thats a can do..... so any words of wisdom will be taken thoughtfully.......
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by magi.
10 years 11 months ago #24566

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic ?? a section on technique...??

:thumbs: :nicethread:
Good idea.
10 years 11 months ago #24569

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic ?? a section on technique...??

Well Mag, you said it when you stated practice. How good you want to get? Like maybe put 5 rds into less than 1 in sq at 600 yds? Then make that AR and extension of your arms.

There are lots of techniques out there. In fact it seems that every few months some Joe D Chit rights an article for some rag and espouses his all new technique guaranteed to make you the worlds best shooter.

Sorry Joe D, but I been reading that since I was a kid and you are fooling yourself more than anyone else.

I was a good, no a great shot. I could take a SA 22 pistol and make a beer can dance down a dirt road, I could slap leather and shoot the head off a coiled rattler as I was getting off my horse. But I practiced...A LOT! And working fence in Texas will make a man a good shoot or you will get bit, your choice.

The basics as taught by the Army are as good today as they were back in WWII, nothing has changed. So practice your basics, then work on techniques that are COMFORTABLE to you. Ask various shooters what and WHY, the use it and see if it FITS, if it don't fit pass on it. What works for one may not work for another. Me, well I got long arms. When I could find them I wore a 37 in length shirt in the arms. SO I have had to adjust and adapt to get a good slight picture, good trigger control. And as I transition to scopes due to eyeballs getting old I am really having to work on all that plus adapt to getting a good sight pic in the scope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: magi
10 years 11 months ago #24570

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic ?? a section on technique...??

Well, how far out do you want to go? Factory ammo is going to become a limitation, as distance increases.
Click on the articles tab up top. Great info in there.

Best thing for now is just ask away, we have several long range guys and to a lesser degree myself, that love these kinds of questions.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 11 months ago #24577

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic ?? a section on technique...??

Magi

Send me a e-mail address in a pm, will send you some "reading material" tomorrow
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: magi
10 years 11 months ago #24579

Replied by magi on topic ?? a section on technique...??

cowboy... thanks..... im making these same adjustments also.... but there is soon nice bits to help out nowadays...... especially in low light... which is a big deal to me.....

colt.... ill just start working at a hundred yards and when i get nice groups ill start taking it out there.... my loading gear has been boxed up since 86..... i moved a lot... but as soon as i can get away from the house.. im going to pick up from my shop.... i want to start casting for my big guns too....
10 years 11 months ago #24580

Replied by magi on topic ?? a section on technique...??

what a guy.........
10 years 11 months ago #24581

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by pookybear308 on topic ?? a section on technique...??

(see below)
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by pookybear308.
10 years 11 months ago #24583

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by pookybear308 on topic ?? a section on technique...??

Uhhh, Sir....is that offer open for any?
10 years 11 months ago #24584

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic ?? a section on technique...??

Yes Sir........
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: pookybear308
10 years 11 months ago #24585

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!