Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-10 Hunting Rifle Build Job

• Thank you received: 0

AR-10 Hunting Rifle Build Job was created by RedRockScott

I am looking for some specific suggestions for building my first AR10. Here is what I am looking for:

• AR-10 .308
• Use: Hunting rifle (coyote, deer, elk)
• Barrel: 24” Bull? Fluted? Other?
• My 13 year old will be shooting it for a few years – he only weighs 90 lbs.
• Weight is a factor – want to keep it down
• Want to reduce recoil where possible
• Adjustable stock
• Good trigger
• I plan to put a 3x9 or 4x12 scope on it – not looking to build a 700+ yard gun…
• Price: looking to stay in the $1500 to $2000 range…

Any suggestions on specific recommendations for any and all parts would be great. Best places to buy the parts, etc. I have a lot to learn, so don’t assume I know more than I do. Thanks!
12 years 9 months ago #8267

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re: AR-10 Hunting Rifle Build Job

for wt and adjustable stock,and in that price range, you are probably going to have to look at a carbine, so give up on the 24 inch bull barrel. Anything with that barrel is going to be in the 10 lb range without a scope or loaded clip anyway, so less practical for what you want to hunt.
My AR10T carbine with 16 inch barrel is close to what you are looking for, but no adjustable stock.That gun is guaranteed 1moa. for 1.5-2moa accuracy(fine for hunting) you can find several with the adjustable stock and fairly light(for an AR). don't know enough about the other companies to make a suggestion, except that my wife shoots an FNAR .308 with a 3-10x scope and likes it. has a nice trigger and is about 7.5lb. Not an AR style but a really nice semiauto. It also has "adjustable" stock, by changing the inserts on the butt pad, so could be adjusted to fit a smaller person and changed as they grow older.
12 years 9 months ago #8269

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!