Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Just bought an LR-308

• Thank you received: 0

Just bought an LR-308 was created by Brannan

Hello everyone, just introducing myself. I just bought a new LR-308 DPMS carbine this last weekend, and already have some questions. I ran 20 rounds through the rifle last sunday, following the shoot once and clean procedure. I used remington bore cleaner and a brass brush. I removed the bolt each time and ran the brush all the way in and then back out. I did this from the muzzle end and have since read that is not the best method. I did go all the way in and back out in a fluid motion, never stopping inside the barrel. I ran brush 3 times, then pulled a patch through until clean. I was using herters bulk 150 grain ammo and was amazed at how dirty each round is, oh well. After all afternoon and only getting 20 rounds through, I field stripped the rifle and cleaned everything with remoil and lubed with remoil and put rifle away. I used the materials I had at my disposal. I will probably get the IOSSO ar10 kit and use it the rest of the way. My biggest question is will the rem bore cleaner work to stop the copper buildup, is says on the bottle works for copper, but they all do I am sure. I traded my deer hunting rifle for this one, so it will be my deer rifle and I do need accuracy up to 300 yards. I also like to bench shoot out to 500 yards. I am also curious about replacing the front hand guard with something with a picatinny rail so I can mount a bipod? Any budget minded suggestions? Thanks
11 years 8 months ago #11979

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Brannan on topic Re: Just bought an LR-308

Also, I did field strip and clean and lube rifle before firing. I followed DPMS instructions on everything, although they are not real clear on their recommended method of how to clean gun between fires. I just assumed they meant the barrel, as I have used that method and been told by many better marksmen than me that is how you break in any new rifle barrel. Thanks again
11 years 8 months ago #11980

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Just bought an LR-308

If all you're wanting to do is mount a bi-pod, I would look at getting a pic rail insert that'll mount to the lower hand guard through the vent holes. That's certainly much cheaper than buying a full hand guard replacement at this point.

I'd also recommend a better lube than Rem Oil. IMO, it burns off too quickly in an AR. I've used Royal Purple lubes and SLiP 2000 EWL with good results.
RLTW
11 years 8 months ago #11983

Replied by Brannan on topic Re: Just bought an LR-308

OK, thanks. Everyone seems to be high on the CLP. I will probably go with it. Does Royal Purple make a gun oil? or is it just motor oil you are using?
11 years 8 months ago #11984

Replied by dpmsfulton on topic Re: Just bought an LR-308

If you can find it, try out Frog Lube, it's relatively new, and seems to be pretty amazing. SEALs use it, for what it's worth.
11 years 8 months ago #11985

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Just bought an LR-308

There's Royal Purple Maxfilm and Royal Purple Gun Oil. Both perform about the same. Please bear in mind that these are lubes only and have no cleaning properties.
RLTW
11 years 8 months ago #11987

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!