Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Building a 20in upper

• Thank you received: 0

Building a 20in upper was created by Goldsmith

Hey everyone I'm building an upper with a 20 inch barrel. For the sake of getting my project up and running I bought a 20 inch AR Stoner barrel. It was cheap but got good reviews and I figured I could at least try it out and buy a better barrel later if I need to. The barrel was only $100. Anyway a couple of the reviews rated the barrel well but the reviewers said that they needed an AR10 rifle length gas tube versus a lr308 rifle length gas tube. I guess the AR 10 rifle length is a1/4 inch longer than the DPMS lr308 rifle length and the rifle will short stroke without the longer tube. What I found strange when I put everything together was how much further the gas tube comes into the receiver than my carbine length gas tube on my other upper. The bolt still closes all the way so I don't think the gas tube is making contact with the bolt but can my gas tube still be to long and will that cause me any problems. Any info help, thanks!
6 years 4 months ago #47985

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Building a 20in upper

If it doesn't bottom out then you should be OK, post a picture of the end of the tube in the receiver and I should be able to say for sure, at least as sure as things can be with these 308AR builds. I recently did a Fulton build that had the tube running well past the halfway point of the cutout in the receiver, rifle runs great.
LIBERTY FIRST!
6 years 4 months ago #47986

Replied by Goldsmith on topic Building a 20in upper

Hi! Thanks for the reply, here's the pic.
6 years 4 months ago #47988

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here's the pic, looks like mine runs just a bit past the 1/2 way on the cutout too.
6 years 4 months ago #47989

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Building a 20in upper

That should be fine. It may give a bit longer gas impulse but that will actually help reliability. Worse case you are a bit over-gassed, that can be fixed with an adjustable gas block or a heavier buffer if it should cause function issues. Odds are you will not see any issue from this though.
LIBERTY FIRST!
6 years 4 months ago #47990

Thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to taking it out soon, I'll make sure to post how it does. Thanks again!
6 years 4 months ago #47991

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!