Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Failure to Feed Issues

• Thank you received: 0

Failure to Feed Issues was created by JimSchwab

Hi All:
I have a LR-308 Sportical that I just picked up a couple of months back. When it was new, I was firing NATO ammo through it, all good stuff (Some south african, some new manufacture Win, all 147g ball). At the time, I had failure to feed problems (FTF). I then tried "quality" loads, loaded by me, which are comprised of 41g I4895 powder and a 168g Sierra HPBT. My M1A loves this round, and absolutely no reason the AR-10 shouldn't either, however, it still exhibits FTF 2-3 times in a 19 round mag. Total rounds through the rifle are still relatively low at about 200 rounds or so.

Specific Problem:
I suspect an extractor problem. The problem occurs when the rifle fails to eject the spent cartridge. At first I thought maybe the ammo was too weak (not enough pressure to properly operate the bolt and carrier), but that isn't the case, because the bolt always gets back far enough to get the next round out of the magazine. The failure occurs as the bolt tries to seat a new round while the spent cartridge is in the way.

Would benefit from any insight anyone might have. Additional insight into the ammo might be beneficial here: I'm using once fired LC or IMI military brass. I've also fired FGMM 168g .308 factory loaded ammo and had the same problem, so I don't think it would be any minor difference in NATO vs .308 brass.

Thanks for reading.
13 years 9 months ago #4807

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Failure to Feed Issues

Put an o Ring around the extractor spring and you may have to use 2 of them but thats a band aid. Check the ejector for sticking and brass particals. The best fix might be more bolt speed and use a grain more powder and lube the cases lightly with STP oil treatment, VERY LIGHTLY when loading!!!!!!!!!!!MSH
13 years 9 months ago #4808

Replied by JimSchwab on topic Re:Failure to Feed Issues

Sorry for the delay in responding back, and thanks for taking the time to comment...

I did notice some brass shavings in and around the bolt face. What would that be indicative of? Seems to me I just need to get it to a gunsmith to look over.
13 years 9 months ago #4846

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Failure to Feed Issues

I would have to concur with MSH.....it sounds just like the slight problem I had with my AR-10 when I first got it....I sent it to the shop and they put all new extractor stuff on it....New spring o ring and all....
The problem you're having is identical to mine....not a big deal...well it can be I guess.... Just to be on the safe side....
Call DPMS and talk with them too......
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 9 months ago #4854

Replied by jon on topic Re:Failure to Feed Issues

My dpms 308T did the same thing, you really need to put the grease to it my dpms is so tight you literaly have to break it over your knee with the rear pin pulled in order to get it open I was told it would probally take 1000 rnds to loosen this rifle up. If its not well lubed it wont run, it will start not feeding or extracting or stay open on last round grease her up and away it goes
13 years 9 months ago #4913

Replied by Crabs on topic Re:Failure to Feed Issues

I also experienced the identical problem ur describing. I was extremely disappointed when I purchased my new 308 AP4 fm. DPMS. After numerousphone calls to the manufacture and intense study, I discovered it was merely the inferior magazines supplied with my rifle. Even 1 I had exchanged to test my theory. Their magazines r contracted out and there is poor quality control on certain batches. I have since switched to different manufactures and have never experienced the problem since. I had 1 out of 5 DPMS supplied magazine that fed properly!
13 years 5 months ago #5862

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!