Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Drag Bag Selection

• Thank you received: 2

Drag Bag Selection was created by weshowe

Gents,

By their very nature tactical rifles are rugged and will take some abuse. That said, some form of protection is mandated to protect against potential failure. The drag bag is one of those methods and the hard case is another (Pelican, Starlight, etc.).

As a rule of thumb, if the rifle leaves my control, during transit, it goes in a locked hard case. When under my control the drag bag is my prefered method of transit.

Drag bags come from many makers, quality needs to be very high, most are made from Cordura or high strength nylon fabric.

One of the best drag bags is made by Eagle Industries. Blackhawk makes comparable models. The other thing the two have in common is cost...they are expensive. Because of my Marine background I view the drag bag as more of an accessory for Law Enforcement where you can have the mojority of equipment stored, in the bag, along with your rifle.

The Army uses drag bags and I believe the Eagle brand is the issue bag. Since the Army actually "drags" the bags they need to be fairly streamlined. Any external straps need to be removable and stored lest they get caught on folliage, etc. Accessory pockets allow storage of the pack straps when on a creap.

The best, reasonably priced, bag I've found is from Galati International. When I got mine they came in Black or O.D. Green. I selected black. As an aside you can sew a waterproof "sheath" for the bag in any camo pattern desired.

The bag's full lenth YKK zipper allows the case to be laid open and the rifle secured inside via nylon straps and fastex buckles. Once secure you can close and zip. The zipper has a full length protective flap that snaps closed. The bag is padded with 1/2" closed cell foam for protection of contents.

A set of heavy duty handles allow carry of the bag in the traditional manner or a set of detachable pack straps allows wearing the bag as a pack leaving, your hands free.

Once secured the forward (pulled) end of the bag has a heavy duty strap that protrudes through a 16" long sleeve. When not in use the strap can be snapped down and kept out of the way.

There are three external cargo pockets. The large pocket is approximately 20" long x 12" high, and has some fastex tie downs inside. A set of smaller pockets about 12" high x 14" long allow for storage of smaller equipmemnt items.

I've had my bag for about 6 years and it has proven rugged and reliable. Quality is very high, especially considering the price we got them on a group buy. At that time retail price was about $160.00 and we purchased 6 and got them for $120.00 each.

Perhaps the feature I like best about the Galati Drag Bag is that it allows storage of all items needed for a competition, trip to the range, or call out.

Hope this helps you in your quest for a decent bag.

Wes
15 years 5 months ago #566

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Drag Bag Selection

I'm purely a civilian shooter (M1A, Mini-14, AR10B, and several bolt guns), but I second the comments on the utility of the drag bag. I got mine several years ago from Eagle Industries, and love it. I bought it primarily because I used to shoot at a range that had shooting benches made of concrete. They were tough on any gun that contacted the surface. With the drag bag, I place it on the bench and unfold it. Instantly I have a nice cloth surface for the gun, gear and my elbows. It also works great on the ground for prone shooting. It's just great to protect a rifle in the back seat of my crewcab truck, but of course it's not acceptable for air travel and doesn't provide any real security to a gun. I love 'em.
15 years 5 months ago #568

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:Drag Bag Selection

Folks,

Here's photo's of the Galati Drag bags. Looks like they added the desert color since I purchased mine, Price is now $180.00.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hope this helps you visualize what the bag is like.

Wes
15 years 5 months ago #569

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Drag Bag Selection

Wow...2 years ago...I guess I never seen this thread...but since I did....I want to add....I have something coming up on the Galati Drag bags....but this is going to be for you Long Gunners, Big Gunners and 50 Call Owners....Stay tuned and an eye pealed...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 4 months ago #6228

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Drag Bag Selection

Well I got back to work on my projects.....
Here is the Galati Jumbo Drag Bag...(JDB) for you 50 cal owners and long gunners...
They really fit the AR-50 A1 B like a glove....a tailored glove. ;)
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 3 months ago #6290

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re: Drag Bag Selection

I agree that the Eagle bags are nice, and very well built. I am one of those Army guys that has endured dragging one of these bags around while crawling on my face. I especially like the shoulder straps that allow the user to carry the bag like a pack, and the fact that these same shoulder straps can be easily and quickly stowed completely away to keep them from snagging while the bag is being dragged.

A quick note, a few companies-namely Condor and Voodoo tactical have reproduced close variations of the Eagle bags. These brands are fine for toting guns to and from the range or the hunting lease, but I would caution tactical users who plan to put a lot of wear and tear on the bag. I have seen other snipers tear up two of the voodoo bags in quick order under heavy field use. I've never put a Condor drag bag through any field use, but I have used their plate carriers before and they are simply not stitched for hard and repetitive punishment, so I can logically assume that their drag bags are a horse of the same color.

A quick comment on stalking, as in the traditional military sniper practice of ghuillie-suiting up and dragging a gun bag through the woods on your belly; I've only ever done this in sniper school and in sustainment training excersises. I do not personally know any military snipers who have ever performed this method in a real world scenario. However, WHEN I HAVE done it, I have found that the extra gear pockets on the bag have been more of a hindrance than a blessing. The bag is already heavy enough to drag with just the rifle in it, and when I drag it, I prefer to put a two foot leader line on it. ( I clip it to my belt,and so the purpose of the leader line is to keep the muzzle end of the bag from being jammed into my crotch while crawling...because that sucks a lot.)Thus, since the bag is always two feet behind and below my body, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep things like my binos or rangefinder in there anyhow-because the movement necessary to get to it is both time and energy consuming, and may very well give my position away. Even with these extra gear pockets empty, I find that they raise the silhouette of the bag up off of the ground a bit more than I'd like-which can also give away your position-and they also seem to get snagged up on brush a lot easier when the material is loose as a result of being empty. I'd like to see Eagle offer the same bag, but with the option to remove the extra pouches, perhaps via fastex buckles or something equivalent.
12 years 4 months ago #9494

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Drag Bag Selection

Holy NecroPost, Batman!This. I used to use a DB from Tactical Tailor. Same issue with the pouches; I put as little as possible in them and then taped them down with 100 MPH tape. I like the idea of a user configurable bag. Leave the bottom slick and have one side with MOLLE webbing.
RLTW
12 years 4 months ago #9508

Replied by weshowe on topic Re: Drag Bag Selection

Gents,

I started this post way back when. Since I use the Galati bag primarily for storage and light field use it's held up well. I still think it's a good dollar value. Wish I'd have had the choic colors, back then.

My AR-10 resides in it, along with ammo and needed equipment. I think of it as my "grab and go" bag.

The Marines have never advocated the use of drag bags. Probably because the rifle is your primary weapon. Some use M-16's in conjunction with the M40A3. I see this as a product of our Iraq experience. Where combat in the built up area is where you may need the increased firepower. There the drag bag with straps can act as a "pack" and carry the rifle until you get into position while you carry your M-16.

Drag bags serve a useful purpose, but as noted are rarely use in the "drag" mode, by any service, outside of the training environments.

I really need a second bag for my M40A1. That way I don't have to switch back and forth.

Thanks for your input. Especially, txlongshot who has real world experience with the bags.

Wes
12 years 4 months ago #9511

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Drag Bag Selection

Ever since I found this thread I have had drag bag envy. I looked at cheaper products, but nothing seemed to satisfy. The disease progressed to the acute stage this evening, and I applied medicinal ethanol liberally, but nothing would relieve the symptoms. So I ordered two Galati DB4212B black 42" drag bags from East Texas Shooters Supply.

I'll post more when they arrive.

Charlie (I feel much better now)
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 2 months ago #10162

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Drag Bag Selection

IT is an Addiction :ohmy: ....and I feel your pain... :woohoo: :whistle:
I know what you mean...every time I walk pass the gun cases at work...I want to take out a New CC... :S
I no longer have mine...but if I ever get another AR-50...I will get another..
I have the XT premium cases for my other rifles and love them...I think you will be happy with your FIX... ;) :woohoo: :whistle:
BMS

12 years 2 months ago #10171

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!