Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Has anyone tried the 168 amax superformance yet?

• Thank you received: 171

Has anyone tried the 168 amax superformance yet? was created by 13fcolt

I'm thinking I might just take a chance on a couple boxes & see whats what.
If it really does push 2870 out of a 24" then I would be pleased if it holds 2750+-
out of my sass.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 3 weeks ago #11129

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Has anyone tried the 168 amax superformance yet?

When the stuff first came out...a few guys tried it in their AR-10s....um...I wouldn't go there....it is designed for "bolt actions"....not gas op rifles...
the guys experienced over pressure, blown primers...bolts slamming back way to hard...even a few cracks in the cases...so again...I wouldn't...
Just my two cents...go with the A-Max or Tap....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 3 weeks ago #11132

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Has anyone tried the 168 amax superformance yet?

I had done some googling and read about various issues. The thing that got my attention was that the weapons that had problems with the superformance had issues with other "hot" factory loads, including bolt guns. I'm thinking short throated match barrels are the common thread.

The few positive reviews I've heard were with rifles that generally have a bit more freebore.

I may just go for it and report back for the sake of seeing it for myself. If I do I'll run it next to the regular amax for comparison.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 3 weeks ago #11135

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Has anyone tried the 168 amax superformance yet?

Just a couple of things I would ask...First...If it is an ArmaLite SASS...
Check with them above all...also read your Owner's manual...Hot loads can void your warranty...so any damage done..is out of your pocket...and I might add..
Make sure you wear proper gear for testing this...and have someone with you just in case...I don't want to hear about it in the news if it goes bad....
Be safe my Friend...and remember...Curiosity Killed the Cat...if it designed for Bolts...it could be bad at worst for you...minimum, you will hash your rifle...
So again...Be safe above all...
Good luck if you go there....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 3 weeks ago #11137

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!