Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

German Surplus Ammo- Battle Packs

• Thank you received: 0

German Surplus Ammo- Battle Packs was created by TxHunter

Hey guys, I came across some surplus german battle packs. Looks like they are steel jacketed.
Will shooting too many of these affect my barrel?
I have an Armalite AR10 and found that the 2 stage trigger is too light for the '80s Czech surplus ammo.
Going out this weekend to try some Peruvian and the German surplus stuff. Got to be something that will work and is cheaper than factory.
Have anyone else run into the trigger being too light to set off the primers on the military stuff?
Armalite Tech help says the Eastern Block stuff used pretty hard metal in their primers.
12 years 3 weeks ago #11210

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: German Surplus Ammo- Battle Packs

Thats new to me. I've shot german from the 90's, Radway, FN, Malaysian, and Pakistani with ZERO issues. The Pakistani stuff has thin rims, stinks before and after shooting, and is real dirty but holds better groups than any of the NATO stuff, go figure :huh: I better let those more knowledgeable deal with the question about barrel wear.
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 3 weeks ago #11223

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by TxHunter on topic Re: German Surplus Ammo- Battle Packs

Thanks for the feedback.
I went out and tried the German surplus and the Peruvian also. Here's my results. Both had 150gr projectiles. Every round on both types would not cycle my bolt back far enough to catch the next round. Eject was ok, grouping was good at aroung 1.5 - 2 M.O.A. Just to make sure it was the ammo. and not the gun, I also shot some Federal Premium w/168gr Sierra BTHP, no malfunctions.
Anyway, I sent a complaint to Armalite here is a link they sent me and told me to read 'all'of it:
TECHNICAL NOTE 57: AMMUNITION RELIABILITY
You might have to cut and paste this link.
Looks like I'm stuck shooting expensive ammo. till I get enough brass to start reloading.
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by Charlie. Reason: Link fixed.
12 years 1 week ago #11383

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!