Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New guy with ammo questions...

• Thank you received: 62

New guy with ammo questions... was created by magi

I have recently acquired a t10 supper sass and some ammo.... Very cool gun... I have a lot to learn... Really like it a lot....
I have two types of ammo for it.... Both Federal GMM... 168 grain BTHP & 175 grain.... Studying online it seem to be well thought of.... But what is your experience.. If any with this ammo...?
I've had the rifle out for two sessions and still getting used to it and its system.... I'm more of a handgun guy and have a lot to learn.... Still working on being consistent and familiarty....
10 years 11 months ago #23762

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic New guy with ammo questions...

Can't speak to how it will work in the Armalite, but I've shot a good amount of both varieties through my LR-308 and it seemed to like the 168 better. I'm pretty sure there's a twist rate difference though, so your experience might be different. I will say that the 175 grain Federal Gold Medal Match gave better results than the brown box M118 special ball though.
10 years 11 months ago #23767

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New guy with ammo questions...

Magi we have some people on the forum that can give you the complete story, But I will give you the rough overview as I know it. Both are among the best factory rounds out there. The 175 gr Fed GMM is basically the civilian version of the US military's M118LR standard sniper round. Probably with better quality control. The 168 FGMM is very similar. Which shoots best in your particular rifle is going to be a toss up. Some like one some like another. With out going to hand loads specifically tailored for your individual rifle, about the only other loads in their class are the Black Hills Ammunition match loads. A good place to start.
The following user(s) said Thank You: magi
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Siscowet.
10 years 11 months ago #23768

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic New guy with ammo questions...

Thanks guys..... I have quite a few boxes of these and it will take me awhile to shoot them up..... I've run around 60 of the 175 grain rounds through this rifle.... Working three shot groups for now.... I often get two very tight shots... Double holers and then a shot out at a hundred yards... I definitely need to become more consistent..... I'll get it... Just need range time......
I don't get out much for now... I'm taking care of dad and he needs a lot of attention.....
However on the up side I have plenty of time to get my reloading gear out... That's been boxed up since 86 when I left Alaska..... So.. Rolling my own for this this thing is part of the plan.....
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by magi.
10 years 11 months ago #23780

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic New guy with ammo questions...

You've gotten some top notch ammo with your rifle purchase, sir...Those particular loads are well desired and hard to come by right now. A SASS is built for long range, and that ammo is built for the same. In the correct hands, your gun/ammo combo is a 1,000 Yard capable platform no questions asked. As it pertains to the availability of ammo and a good rifle to shoot it through, you are sitting on top of the world right now with that combination...excellent score!
10 years 11 months ago #24501

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!